Fluxbox config almost fixed

this is a continuuation of my previous attempts to configure Fluxbox from forum page:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=44975

Ok so I downloaded fluxbox, THEN I installed the Nautilus windows manager so i could rename/ move/ manipulate files without knowing all the BSD command line. (the suggested terminal commands didn't work for some reason) So by using the Nautilus file manager, I was able to move my “.fluxbox” that the most generous “vermaden ” let us download; and I moved the file into the user home, then to the root home, then to the root folder, and nothing seems to have changed.
- Is there a command to make Fluxbox point to the .fluxbox at startup OR do i simply just have to add the files inside the .fluxbox from the Xterm as root once I “startx.”
I'm real close to having a customized Fluxbox, but after trying to move the .fluxbox around into nearly every folder, both as root and as user, nothing is different; still the same dull Fluxbox with three terminals, one cheesy looking 1980's looking digital clock face and a right click drop down menu with no real usuable options unless except to close the terminals, or shut the computer down. I know I'm almost there. I have restarted the xorg, the operating system, and tried every possible place to stick the new .fluxbox and nothing is happening. it simply doesn't realize that it's supposed to be using it. What am i missing, a terminal command that simply tells fluxbox to combine with the new .fluxbox, or do i have to do this strictly headless THEN restart the xorg server? If that's the case, then i need to know the exact command line to type. Then I'd really like to know why those commands work. etc. This operating system is very very intriguing - and the way it has been streamlined in comparison to a lot of Linux Distros could set a new example of precision. Alas, I'm not hatin' on anyone, just observing and learning..
- you guys have been a major help in helping me learn; thanks again for the help.

If it looks like:
320px-Twm.png

You need to put
Code:
exec startfluxbox
in ~/.xinitrc (create one if it isn't there).

Fluxbox should automatically be looking in the ~/.flulxbox directory for it's configuration files, which is where you seem to have put them.

The only issue I see with the ~/.fluxbox/init file you have is the line:
Code:
session.styleFile:      /home/vermaden/.fluxbox/styles/sunshine
Which should be changed, but isn't the issue you're having.

Thanks ChalkBored.
-where is the ~/.xinitrc supposed to be at; in the root folder, right?
I'm using Natilus and I typed "cntrl + h" command in Nautilus to show all the hidden files in each folder, and i haven't found the ~/.xinitrc yet. is it a text file, or a folder?
If i don't find it, you are suggesting that I need to create one? I think one of the times I reinstalled the O.S., I had to create a .xinitrc file. I can't remember. it's been a couple of weeks ago. that's in the handbook i think. I'll look it up and hack away on it today.

Ok I found the .xinit file. it's in the usr/local/bin. So I can only edit it from the headless command prompt right? Do i use the "echo" command?
I'm still learning the layout of the headless world, so I'm in the dark, but learning the navigation a little more.

red07 said:
Ok I found the .xinit file. it's in the usr/local/bin.
No, xinit (no leading DOT) is in /usr/local/bin. There is no .xinit (leading DOT) in /usr/local/bin.

What you want to do is create a file called .xinitrc and put it in your user home directory as in ~/.xinitrc. A trivial form of the file looks like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec startfluxbox
That should be all you need to get started.

Back