Solved fluxbox 1.3.6 issue on 10.1 amd64

Has anyone installed x11-wm/fluxbox 1.3.6? 1.3.5 works fine but 1.3.6 hangs, I can move the pointer but that is all I can do.

I have tried various combinations of the following:
  1. compiled the port using default and different settings
  2. compiled it with gcc4.8 and clang (default)
  3. compiled the source directly from http://fluxbox.org/
  4. Installed the package using pkg()
  5. executed it with and without vt() loaded
Xorg.0.log matches exactly between both versions and the file created using
fluxbox -log
matches exactly except for the version number. I am at a loss on what to try next. My system is FreeBSD 10.1, amd64 using nvidia x11/nvidia-driver-304

John

I have been using x11-wm/fluxbox 1.3.5 for a while on FreeBSD 10.1 and it has functioned properly, however after running pkg upgrade the other day with x11-wm/fluxbox being upgraded to 1.3.6, no apps, not even x11/xterm will run after x11-wm/fluxbox starts up.

startx is called from the command-line
startfluxbox is called from .xinitrc
x11-wm/fluxbox appears to start up fine
x11/xterm (or any other app) is launched from the x11-wm/fluxbox menu
x11-wm/fluxbox crashes "pid 9732 (fluxbox), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (SIGABRT)"

What steps should I take now? Who should I contact?
Thank you
EDIT: The following lines were output after I compiled x11-wm/fluxbox with debug symbols:
Code:
src/SystemTray.cc(186): (SystemTray(const FbTk::FbWindow)): SETTING OWNER!
src/fluxbox.cc(659): MapRequest for 0xa0000d
src/WinClient.cc(247): updateTransientInfo: window() = 0xa0000d
Failed to read transient for hint.
src/Window.cc(410): FluxboxWindow::init(this=0x8048dba00, client=a0000d, frame = 8001dc)

First thing I would try is renaming my ~/.fluxbox config folder and starting it with the defaults to see if that makes a difference.

Hi protocelt

Yes I follow /usr/ports/UPDATING, I did a full install of 10.1 about 2 or 3 weeks ago replacing 9.2, I never update between releases. The only ports() update I had to do since the install was for graphics/png and that went fine. Sometime soon I will need to do something about lang/python34, but hoping to get x11-wm/fluxbox straightened out first.

willbprog127

I requested the merge since your issue is exactly like my issue. I reverted back to 1.3.5, the old package should be in /var/cache/pkg/fluxbox-1.3.5_2.txz. To revert I copied it to /root and did a
Code:
pkg add
after removing 1.3.6. Over the past few days I have been doing that a lot trying to figure out what is happening :)

Thanks for that jmccue . Unfortunately I did a pkg clean recently, so 1.3.5 is gone. I tried building 1.3.5 from source but it gave me some strange error message during build, so I'm stuck on Linux until I have more time to monkey with patches and what-not on FreeBSD.

I'm not very familiar with ports-mgmt/portupgrade as I use ports-mgmt/portmaster but from looking at the portupgrade(1) man page, it looks like the -P option tells portupgrade to use packages when available. It may be possible you have some package or library inconsistencies from mixing ports and packages. Can you install the ports-mgmt/bsdadminscripts port and run pkg_libchk posting the ouptut of that command in your post? That will spot or rule out any ports management problems that may be relevant.

jrm -- this link
http://pastebin.com/6mmWfBeV
shows info from pkg check -ad and pkg check -aB. Only cups issues and I do not use cups anyway

protocelt -- this link
http://pastebin.com/zUPKVjQP
shows data from pkg_libchk, from the man page it states it uses pkg_info, which is the old package utility set and it does not exist on 10.1, but it did show data.

This
http://pastebin.com/yVhXrbhk
shows information from x11-wm/fluxbox 1.3.6, none of the libraries listed here were kicked out from either of the above commands

John

Looks like some ports were missed when updating graphics/png. Try running portupgrade -f cups-image eterm libast librsvg2 webkit-gtk2 webkit-gtk3 xfe. This will recompile and re-install all included ports in the command.

As a side note; while it is certainly possible to use both ports and packages, I find choosing one or the other makes life just a little easier. :)

Sorry, I'm pretty much out of ideas myself. The only other thing I could think of is maybe trying an empty .xinitrc file other then the /usr/local/bin/startfluxbox entry if your not using a login manager. Hopefully someone else may have an idea. If not you can file a bug report if one hasn't been filed already.

willbprog127 -- I was also thinking of that, curious what you will hear.

By now I would have expected a few more people to "show up" with the same issue we are having. Do you have this video card ?
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)​

For that to work under X I needed to install x11/nvidia-driver-304, in a way I am hoping you have a different brand, that would eliminate a clash with X

protocelt, thanks for trying.

Only one other person is having the same issue as I am and I just asked him what video card he has.

By now I would have expected a couple of more people having the same issue. But it works for jrm so right now it seems specific me and willbprog127. He just sent an email to the maintainer so see if he knows or heard anything odd.

John

jmccue I have an Nvidia GeForce 610 using proprietary 340.65 driver, running on FreeBSD 10.1 amd64.

I take that as a a good sign, the drivers we use are different (though by the came company). I have an old card and yours is newer. So I think we can cross video drivers off the list :)

I was thinking x11-wm/fluxbox 1.3.6 may have made a rather large change to calling X.

I was thinking x11-wm/fluxbox 1.3.6 may have made a rather large change to calling X.
According to the Fluxbox website, they did do a lot of clean-up to make lang/clang-devel happier during build, but I'm not sure they did a lot of testing on FreeBSD.

After work, I'll boot into FreeBSD and see what else I can dig up. I'll try to find a way to roll-back to 1.3.5 until 1.3.6 is fixed.

EDIT: I found that I had not updated my ports tree recently, so I built x11-wm/fluxbox 1.3.5 from there, locked it and it's working fine for now. Looking forward to 1.3.6 being fixed. :)

Same problem here. Thanks for this thread!

I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE amd64 GENERIC-Kernel (Thinkpad X61, Intel driver with 965GM) one day before fluxbox 1.3.6 appeared in the ports and everything was running with fluxbox 1.3.5. After I updated the fluxbox port to 1.3.6 my xorg 1.14.7 crashed when the first application (xterm, firefox...) is started. I already rebuild all ports ( portmaster -afd).

Hope it will be fixed soon. Currently I've no idea how to downgrade the port.

Back