flash plugin for firefox

Hello, I am trying to use the bbc.co.uk/news website and view the video feed on www/firefox. www/firefox says it needs flashplayer plugin is this available and if so where can I get it and how do I install it on FreeBSD 11?
thanks
nedry

hello i am trying to use the bbc.co.uk/news website and view the video feed on firefox. firefox says it needs flashplayer plugin is this available and if so where can i get it and how do i install it oni freebsd 11?
thanks
nedry
There is no Flash player for any BSDs. There has never being a Flash player for any BSDs even before Flash died. There was a client for BBC video podcast IIRC but I don't get my news from them so I you have to check yourself.

Last edited:
If your installation is stripped, you'll need
Code:
COMPAT_FREEBSD32
compiled in kernel, and linux.ko, linux64.ko, linux_common.ko, linprocfs.ko kernel modules available. There is no need to set version in sysctl.conf, as it's a default.

Current Flash plugin (24.0.0.221) is at www/linux-flashplayer in ports tree and it works with www/firefox. While I had no use for it for close to ten years already, you never know... And today is that day I'm glad it's working.

Is it worth installing?

I think not. The BBC, being a publicly funded institution, should not be using Flash in my opinion. To me it is only right to not accept it. When I encounter content which requires Flash I just assume they do not want to communicate to me.

I agree with both. I personally need it for a proprietary course materials. It shouldn't be needed to browse the web at this point.

I agree with both. I personally need it for a proprietary course materials.

I'd question the legitimacy of anything written by somebody who uses Flash in that situation. Teachers are supposed to be educated. Yes, when I see something like that I'm likely to go ballistic. lol

The hint here is 'proprietary'. There are some areas where neither teachers nor you have influence on how materials are presented. I'm writing to just say that in case somebody have found themselves in similar scenario, as of now- that plugin works. Which I really appreciate.

This ain't gonna be "apt-get install flash-plugin" Get that clear in your mind.

From Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons, in the search space, type: HTML5, from the following list choose the html5 you want; I chose: YouTube ALL HTML5. Reboot or shut down FF, and restart it. Try it, see if it works for you.

YouTube uses HTML5 for videos by default for quite some time already. I'm not sure I follow you with all this 'apt-get' talk here...

morbit:
I was just trying to convey the idea that is not going to be easy as in Linux, he will have to jump thru hoops otherwise, therefore, installing the extension html5 will solve the problem in most cases.

As for HTML5 by default in youtube, it hasn't been the case with me, without installing the HTML5 extension, youtube videos and other movies DO NOT work for me. As Oko said, flash does not work in the BSDs.

...and as I've said before, in case somebody needs Flash plugin anyway, in my opinion currently it's working better than ever. It's at the universal latest version, works with 11-STABLE amd64, you do not need to have Linux web browser around thanks to www/nspluginwrapper, and it works as good with default c6 linux_base as with the latest c7 one. Yes, most don't need it, but well, it's there.

Back