Flash on FreeBSD Guide, Common Problems and Solutions

***I know there are threads all over the place for this... But I thought it would be good to start one and try to make it all inclusive. For now, I'll just start with instructions for installing Flash 10 on FreeBSD 8.0.

Flash on FreeBSD 8.0

1) Loading the Linux Compatibility Layer

Before we begin installing flash, the Linux compatibility layer (linux(4)) needs to be loaded. You can do this by running (as root):
Code:
kldload linux

To make this persist across reboots, you can either run (as root)
Code:
# echo 'linux_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
# echo 'linux_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

or add the following to your kernel configuration file and rebuild your kernel

For i386 /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
Code:
options      COMPAT_LINUX
options      LINPROCFS
options      LINSYSFS

For amd64 /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
Code:
options      COMPAT_FREEBSD32
options      COMPAT_43
options      COMPAT_LINUX32

2) Installing Flash

Install ports emulators/linux_base-f10* and www/linux-f10-flashplugin10.

Using make:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
# make install clean

Using portmaster (you don't have to use --no-confirm or -d, I just like to):
Code:
# portmaster --no-confirm -d www/linux-f10-flashplugin10

This should install all dependencies as well, however, as of 2010.10.10, x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

*Older guides recommended setting OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT and OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS equal to f10 in /etc/make.conf. This is no longer necessary as linux_base-f10 is now the default.
port" href="http://www.freshports.org/ isn't automatically installing x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

*Older guides recommended setting OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT and OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS equal to f10 in /etc/make.conf. This is no longer necessary as linux_base-f10 is now the default.
"> isn't automatically installing x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

port" href="http://www.freshports.org/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

port" href="http://www.freshports.org/ isn't automatically installing x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

"> isn't automatically installing x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

">www/linux-f10-flashplugin10x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 as it should be, so make sure you install this port as well. I have submitted problem report PR ports/151370 for this.

3) Setting Up linprocfs(5) and linsysfs(5)
I believe that linprocfs() is the only one that is actually required for flash to work properly, however, setting them both up shouldn't be a big deal and will ensure that all other linux apps work properly. Add the following to /etc/fstab
Code:
linsys   /usr/compat/linux/sys    linsysfs     rw        0       0
linproc  /usr/compat/linux/proc   linprocfs    rw        0       0

These will automatically be mounted next time you (re)boot your system. For now though, run the following as root
Code:
# mount /usr/compat/linux/proc
# mount /usr/compat/linux/sys

4) Browser Specific Installation Instructions
a) Opera

Install ports www/opera and www/opera-linuxplugins and you should be good to go!
Using make (ports(7))
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/www/opera && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/www/opera-linuxplugins && make install clean

Using portmaster
Code:
# portmaster --no-confirm -d www/opera www/opera-linuxplugins

NOTE: If you are using Opera, you can skip the section on configuring nspluginwrapper! Do not configure Opera to use the nspluginwrapped version of flash or you WILL have problems.
b) Other Browsers (e.g. Firefox)

Install the browser you wish to use (I'll use www/firefox as an example) and install www/nspluginwrapper.

Using make
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper && make install clean

Using portmaster
Code:
# portmaster --no-confirm -d www/firefox www/nspluginwrapper

5) Configuring nspluginwrapper

b) As User
Code:
# nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
This will install npwrapper.libflashplayer.so into /home/${USER}/.mozilla/plugins/ so point your browser there.​
port" href="http://www.freshports.org/www/nspluginwrapper[/man]. That said. you are now ready to configure nspluginwrapper! You have two options here, you can configure nspluginwrapper as root, so that all users on your system will have access to flash. Or you can configure nspluginwrapper on a per-user basis. (You may need to run "rehash" before running nspluginwrapper if you're getting a "nspluginwrapper: command not found." error when trying to run it.)

a) As root
Code:
# nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
This will install the wrapped plugin to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so, so make sure your browsers are looking to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ to find it.​

b) As User
Code:
This will install npwrapper.libflashplayer.so into /home/${USER}/.mozilla/plugins/ so point your browser there.​
">www/nspluginwrapper[/man]. That said. you are now ready to configure nspluginwrapper! You have two options here, you can configure nspluginwrapper as root, so that all users on your system will have access to flash. Or you can configure nspluginwrapper on a per-user basis. (You may need to run "rehash" before running nspluginwrapper if you're getting a "nspluginwrapper: command not found." error when trying to run it.)

a) As root
Code:
This will install the wrapped plugin to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so, so make sure your browsers are looking to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ to find it.​

b) As User
Code:
port" href="http://www.freshports.org/

I believe that linprocfs() is the only one that is actually required for flash to work properly, however, setting them both up shouldn't be a big deal and will ensure that all other linux apps work properly. Add the following to /etc/fstab
Code:

These will automatically be mounted next time you (re)boot your system. For now though, run the following as root
Code:

a) Opera

Install ports www/opera and www/opera-linuxplugins and you should be good to go!
Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

NOTE: If you are using Opera, you can skip the section on configuring nspluginwrapper! Do not configure Opera to use the nspluginwrapped version of flash or you WILL have problems.

Install the browser you wish to use (I'll use www/firefox as an example) and install www/nspluginwrapper.

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:
port" href="http://www.freshports.org/www/nspluginwrapper[/man]. That said. you are now ready to configure nspluginwrapper! You have two options here, you can configure nspluginwrapper as root, so that all users on your system will have access to flash. Or you can configure nspluginwrapper on a per-user basis. (You may need to run "rehash" before running nspluginwrapper if you're getting a "nspluginwrapper: command not found." error when trying to run it.)

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:
">www/nspluginwrapper[/man]. That said. you are now ready to configure nspluginwrapper! You have two options here, you can configure nspluginwrapper as root, so that all users on your system will have access to flash. Or you can configure nspluginwrapper on a per-user basis. (You may need to run "rehash" before running nspluginwrapper if you're getting a "nspluginwrapper: command not found." error when trying to run it.)

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:
">

Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:
port" href="http://www.freshports.org/3) Setting Up linprocfs(5) and linsysfs(5)
Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:
">

Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:
">3) Setting Up linprocfs(5) and linsysfs(5)
Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:
">

Code:

Code:

a) Opera

Using make (ports(7))
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

Using make
Code:

Using portmaster
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

a) As root
Code:

b) As User
Code:

Common Problems

1) Opera can't find the plugin no matter what I do!
For some reason, as of this writing, x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 isn't listed as a dependency for www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 even though it should be. Install this port. I have submitted a PR.​

2) Flash works but it plays videos way too fast!
This happened to me whenever I tried flash without my sound card module being loaded and the card being configured. See the handbook section on how to do this.​

3) My browser detects flash but it doesn't work or my browser doesn't detect flash at all.
Make sure you have linprocfs (and linsysfs) mounted. See section on this above.​

One can view flash *most of the time* with the following and not even the linux compat layer. ( Other non-browser ways also work).

(Some sites do not play the flash though, I've never tried the Linux compat layer(s). )

/usr/ports/multimedia/gnash
and
/usr/ports/www/seamonkey

jb_fvwm2 said:
One can view flash *most of the time* with the following and not even the linux compat layer. ( Other non-browser ways also work).

(Some sites do not play the flash though, I've never tried the Linux compat layer(s). )

and
/usr/ports/www/seamonkey

I remember using gnash and I didn't like how it heavily loaded CPU up to about 90%.

jb_fvwm2 said:

and
/usr/ports/www/seamonkey

Never tried seamonkey but gnash just did NOT work for me.

Uh oh!
FreeBSD8.1-p1. Dual boot with Win7 EasyBCD boot manager.
I've edited /etc/fstab as instructed above. But it renders my system unbootable. Seems /usr/compat/linux/sys does not exist. Single user boot does not work. I'm prompted for pathname of shell, but USB keyboard does not respond. Same for safe mode. I can escape to a loader prompt and use command
Code:
more /etc/fstab
Is there a way to edit or cat redirect and overwrite fstab so I can safely boot?

I'm just guessing, but do you have a ps/2 keyboard to use temporarily ? Can you load the usb drivers at the boot loader prompt? "rw,noauto" *might* be useful in this case to correct those fstab entries
Code:
mount -o force ...
df
might work (I forget precisely the method(s)) if you can find fstab and an editor afterwards

qsecofr said:
Uh oh!
I've edited /etc/fstab as instructed above. But it renders my system unbootable. Seems /usr/compat/linux/sys does not exist. Single user boot does not work. I'm prompted for pathname of shell, but USB keyboard does not respond. Same for safe mode. I can escape to a loader prompt and use command
Code:
more /etc/fstab
Is there a way to edit or cat redirect and overwrite fstab so I can safely boot?

# mount -u /

And then you'll probably need to mount the other filesystems to get an editor:
# mount -t ufs

Remove the "linsys" line from /etc/fstab. Try to mount linproc:
# mount linproc

If it doesn't mount, remove that line also. Then boot and install emulators/linux_base-f10.

qsecofr said:
Uh oh!
Code:
more /etc/fstab

Sorry about that... for some reason, this happened to me on amd64 as well, change /usr/compat/linux/[sys,proc] to /compat/linux/[sys,proc] and it should work and/or symlink /usr/compat to /compat... it used to be that /compat was a symlink to /usr/compat (I thought?)

wblock said:
# mount -u /

And then you'll probably need to mount the other filesystems to get an editor:
# mount -t ufs

Remove the "linsys" line from /etc/fstab. Try to mount linproc:
# mount linproc

If it doesn't mount, remove that line also. Then boot and install emulators/linux_base-f10.

I don't think that's the issue, i think it's that /compat used to be a symlink to /usr/compat, now it seems to be the other way around (at least in amd64)... unless I'm getting confused... again

I repaired /etc/fstab by using [CMD=""]ed[/CMD] and deleting the last two lines. The suggestion above to
Code:
mount -u /; mount -t ufs
appeared to succeed, but
Code:
ls /usr
was an empty list. Neither [CMD=""]ee[/CMD] nor [CMD=""]vi[/CMD] were visible under the mounted / directory. I've made a backup of the file just in case I goof up again.. ;-)

Next time I'll follow the steps in order. After editing my kernel config file, I thought: "why not edit /etc/fstab too and save a reboot. What could go wrong afterall?" ;-)

Yes, I had a PS2 keyboard, and that did work when booting to single-user. I suspected as much given the "USB" in my first post. But the confusion arose when escaping to a boot loader prompt and said USB keyboard did work.

qsecofr said:
I repaired /etc/fstab by using [CMD=""]ed[/CMD] and deleting the last two lines. The suggestion above to
Code:
mount -u /; mount -t ufs
appeared to succeed, but
Code:
ls /usr
was an empty list. Neither [CMD=""]ee[/CMD] nor [CMD=""]vi[/CMD] were visible under the mounted / directory. I've made a backup of the file just in case I goof up again.. ;-)

There are some things in /rescue. vi, for one.

I must be doing something incorrectly. I went back and started from the beginning. The ports are now installed. Before editing /etc/fstab I did
Code:
mount /compat/linux/proc
but receive the error "unknown special file or file system." Same for
Code:
mount /usr/compat/linux/proc
. There exists an empty directory on my system
Code:
ls -la /usr/compat/linux/proc
and /compat is symlinked to /usr/compat. Maybe it's already mounted and the manual mount is redundant, but wouldn't that throw a different error?

Update:
Maybe I'm a bit dense. I edited /etc/fstab as above first, and then afterward, before reboot, mounted the filesystems manually. No error.
Code:
df
shows them mounted.

My poor improvisation notwithstanding, this how-to worked just fine. Thanks for posting it.

If I might, I'd like to encourage a revision to advise against freelancing like I did. A recommendation to mount manually the linux filesystems before editing /etc/fstab might save someone else a minor headache. If I had stopped to think of the ramifications of an incorrect fstab, I'd have not had any difficulties following this guide.

ikbendeman said:
Common Problems

1) Opera can't find the plugin no matter what I do!
For some reason, as of this writing, x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2 isn't listed as a dependency for www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 even though it should be. Install this port. I have submitted a PR.​

I also stumbled upon this one and found out that there is file opera checks for plugins to ignore. You can find its location in about:config and search for "Plugin Ignore File". Either clearing this file or creating new empty one resolves the issue for me.

/compat/linux/sys <--The normal mount point for linsysfs.
/compat/linux/proc <--The normal mount point for the linprocfs.

I have been trying hours to get flash working and being able to watch Youtube

Reading endless web pages etc, till I found this link

It did the trick for me.

wblock said:
That would be a package, a precompiled port. It won't be there due to licensing, which doesn't allow redistribution.

Download the latest ports from 11/24/2010
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz

Code:
#cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
#make 
#make install
#nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

and the same result :(

*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: libssl3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

I have installed FreeBSD 8.1/i386

Andrey said:
Code:
#cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
#make 
#make install
#nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

That last line is wrong, and some steps are missing. Please see Handbook section on installing Flash. You may also need to complete the Linux emulation setup if you haven't done that already.

wblock said:
That last line is wrong, and some steps are missing. Please see Handbook section on installing Flash. You may also need to complete the Linux emulation setup if you haven't done that already.

I installed linux emulation, may still something missing?

Code:
linux-f10-atk-1.24.0 Accessibility Toolkit, Linux/i386 binary (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-cairo-1.8.0_1 Vector graphics library Cairo (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-expat-2.0.1 Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library (Linux
linux-f10-flashplugin-10.1r102.65 Adobe Flash Player NPAPI Plugin
linux-f10-fontconfig-2.6.0 An XML-based font configuration API for X Windows (Linux Fe
linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 GTK+ library, version 2.X (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-jpeg-6b   RPM of the JPEG lib (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-pango-1.22.3_1 The pango library (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-png-1.2.37_1 RPM of the PNG lib (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2 The TIFF library, Linux/i386 binary (Linux Fedora 10)
linux-f10-xorg-libs-7.4_1 Xorg libraries (Linux Fedora 10)
linux_base-f10-10_2 Base set of packages needed in Linux mode for i386/amd64
Lluit-1.0.5 Locale and ISO 2022 support for Unicode terminals

/etc/rc.conf linux_enable="YES"

Code:
# df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
linsysfs       4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /usr/compat/linux/sys
linprocfs      4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc

# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so \
      /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/
# nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: libssl3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Auto-install plugins from /root/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /root/.mozilla/plugins