First-Time User: How to Install FreeBSD From a USB Drive?

Professional review are also worth a lot. I found a good review for your laptop, looks like wireless can be easily swapped.
https://laptopmedia.com/review/dell...that-significant/#disassembly-and-maintenance

The processor you choose and it's graphics core (Intel UHD 620) are supported, wireless most likely not.
No information about ethernet and sound, neither from Dell nor in the review. Not a big deal as they usually work as long as it's not some really bad and rare crap from Realtek.
I see that an AMD Radeon 530 is included in the price. Get rid of that!!! No dualgraphics, they will bite you.

When you say the wireless most likely isn't supported, are you saying I will have to "swap" the wireless? Is this a physical thing inside the computer? Would you be able to provide more information on how to get wireless to work? Because that would be a necessity for using this computer.

Regarding "dualgraphics," are you sure it has dual graphics cards? I started a chat with Dell customer support and the person said it doesn't have dual graphics. This is what he said: "no it doesnt ,it comes with integrated graphics card ,its a feature or a desktop not a laptop ,laptops are not powerful enough to have that." In any case, would the step-down model from Dell be better? It has Intel UHD Graphics 620. Here is a link: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...590/spd/latitude-15-3590-laptop/S030L359015US

I really would like to get one of these Dell Latitude 3590 laptops, because I already have one that runs Ubuntu fine. But I really want to make sure the computer is fully compatible with FreeBSD before making a big purchase. I really appreciate you looking into this for me.

That spells it out in plain English with a target audience of someone who has never used UNIX or the command line. It uses ports but you can substitute pkg and still follow the outline to get to a x11-wm/fluxbox desktop with details on which system and security files to edit. Again, you can substitute the DE or WM of your choice. Consult the Handbook on using pkg.
Thanks, I will definitely consider using this approach. A few questions:

1) I believe the author of Absoulte FreeBSD recommends ZFS as the file system for newer computers. I see your How-To describes how to set up UFS. Which one should I use?

2) Isn't Xorg, not fluxbox, the window manager most people would use?

3) When you say you can substitute pkg, where exactly would you do this?

Sorry again, everyone, for my lack of expertise!

Thanks, I will definitely consider using this approach. A few questions:

1) I believe the author of Absoulte FreeBSD recommends ZFS as the file system for newer computers. I see your How-To describes how to set up UFS. Which one should I use?

2) Isn't Xorg, not fluxbox, the window manager most people would use?

3) When you say you can substitute pkg, where exactly would you do this?

As someone new to FreeBSD you'll have a much easier time of it with UFS if you're just building a desktop. ZFS comes with its own set of potential stumbling blocks and UFS has always served me well.

x11/xorg is a meta-port that contains several programs and what in essence your Window Manager or Desktop Environment is built on top of, to simplify things. I always install it before anything that requires a GUI when I build my desktops and how I have it outlined. x11-wm/fluxbox is the WM I prefer but you'e not limited to it.

Installation of 3rd party programs through the pkg system consists of using what are pre-complied ports. When you use the pkg system there is no need for ports-mgmt/portmaster or what can be hours of compiling code to get what is basically the same thing unless you use a lot of non-default values during the build. Where it gives instructions on building a program with ports use the correct commands to install it using pkg instead. You'll need to study it in the Handbook but there are only a few commands to it.

Ports is how I learned and like to use, but it will be more expedient using pkg. As long as you do not mix pkg and ports.

As someone new to FreeBSD you'll have a much easier time of it with UFS if you're just building a desktop. ZFS comes with its own set of potential stumbling blocks and UFS has always served me well.
Do you think ZFS would still be OK for a beginner? One of the reasons I want ZFS is it seems easier to partition the drive with it. Thanks for your explanation of Windows Managers and pkg. I think it definitely sounds much easier to use pkg to install third-party programs, so I will try to make sure I always install that way.

If k.jacker or someone else could respond to my questions on the Dell Latitude 3590 (see my last post, post #26), that would be so nice. I was thinking about purchasing the computer soon, but I want to make sure it will be fully compatible with FreeBSD before I do so.

Edit: I now am under the impression that getting a FreeBSD laptop isn't as easy as buying whatever laptop I want and installing FreeBSD. There are apparently many compatibility issues. You can help me find a laptop for running FreeBSD by posting in this thread I just posted in the "General" forum: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-do-i-find-a-laptop-fully-compatible-with-freebsd.68670/

Do you think ZFS would still be OK for a beginner? One of the reasons I want ZFS is it seems easier to partition the drive with it.

That question rests on your own abilities to take in the Handbook and work out possible questions or problems that may or may not arise. Everyone should be able to set up their desktop exactly how they want it. I have only the 3rd party programs I want installed and everything worked out exactly the way I want it to suit me.

It's not going to be any easier IMO to have it set up your slices (partitions) using ZFS than UFS. Will you have as easy a time using ZFS as UFS? Maybe, maybe not. I've only used ZFS once in 13 years with FreeBSD and can only say I prefer UFS for my desktops.

Just keep in mind the guy who wrote "Absolute FreeBSD" knew enough about the subject to write a book on it, you're reading it and this is new to you.

After carefully considering the pros and cons of installing FreeBSD, I have decided to actually put it on hold indefinitely. This was largely due to the fact that most laptops are not, apparently, fully compatible with FreeBSD, and finding one that was would be very difficult for me. I would like to thank everyone who took time out of their day to respond to my questions. I have read that the FreeBSD community is eager to help, and that certainly seems to be the case. Last night, I did a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so I will be using Linux now instead. My first foray into FreeBSD was a very positive one. When all is said and done, I have learned some valuable things about computers and am only out a grand total of $70 (the $40 Absolute FreeBSD, 3rd Edition, book and a hat and various other branded products from the FreeBSD Mall). If anyone would like to purchase any of these things from me for a discounted price, find my contact information below.

I would like to give a special thanks to k.jacker, who first let me know the laptop I was planning to buy might not be compatible with FreeBSD. You saved me $1,000 and a lot of stress. Thank you!

With that said, if anyone would like to get me back into FreeBSD (i.e. one knows about new laptops that are fully compatible with FreeBSD) or if one wants to buy my book or other stuff, find instructions to email me by visiting my website's contact page.

It's been amazing getting to learn some things about this operating system and the people who use it.

Regards,

Nick Scribner

If I can get FreeBSD to work on my 12 year old Dell with two obscure old USB wifi cards, I'm sure you can. I find the install quicker and easier than Arch Linux.

Thanks. I will probably go ahead with the install soon.

Thanks. So I take it Xorg is an application I must install first. Is there anything else I should know about installing, if my only experience with such matters is installing Ubuntu Desktop earlier this year?

I hope Absolute FreeBSD, 3rd Edition, helps with installation. I will see if I can take a look at that today. That newly released book is one of the main reasons I decided to switch to FreeBSD. Even though I am not much of a "computer person," I have always been intrigued by FreeBSD, so I am very excited to start using it.

Since I'm here I had another pertinent question. Another reason why I decided to switch to FreeBSD is I see version 12.0 is just about to be released in two days. I have read on the forums that many people don't recommend getting the initial releases because there are often bugs. Do you think I should install the latest version of 11 instead? My other question is, with Ubuntu, I had problems updating to the latest LTS version within the OS's Software Updater. It ended up messing up my computer, and I couldn't get the OS to boot anymore. I later found out in the Ubuntu Forums that people don't recommend updating the OS within Software Updater but rather always backing up the computer and doing a clean install. Is this the same with FreeBSD?
Have a look at https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-11-desktop-howto/
it helps a lot, everything in one place. Remember you don’t need to install everything just install or configure what you need. Keep it simple.
Mate would be great as a starting point. I personally use WindowsMaker now.

Learn the Unix basics while you use Linux and maybe come back one day. Having some knowledge to build upon, would definitely makes FreeBSD look less scary.

Scribner sorry I initially missed the reply were you mentioned that “you’re put it on hold indefinitely”, I run FreeBSD on plenty of old Acer laptops no problem at all for the past few years and the reason I made the switch is that Linux caused me headache, in my case fedora.
If you’re going to install Ubuntu anyway on the new laptop that you’ll buy why not try FreeBSD first and see. Chances it will work fine out of the box.
As for the wifi, if it doesn’t work you can replace it easily.
My advice FreeBSD is the easiest and most solid desktop you can get.

Back