First release of JabirBSD!

I believe nobody should take this seriously. They are just some kids around 16/17 at most, who are willing to accomplish something in FLOSS world and get known.

At first when I headed to their homepage I thought it is a serious effort with some goals. And, I commented on one of their blog posts too which was about deciding between ArchLinux and FreeBSD as base of their upcoming distribution. Unfortunately, they censored a big part of my comment which is still there. In that comment I suggested: why another distro? What are the goals? What are the points in creating another distro?

So, after their unprofessional practice, I realized they just want to get known which is OK for their age.

But I still see the bright side. I'm living in Iran, too. Unfortunately, there are just few people whom I know, who are familiar with *BSD. Here most sysadmins/programmers are just using either GNU/Linux or Microsoft Windows Server. So, at least their effort may help people here know a little bit more about BSD family.

Also, virtually a decade ago, an national OS based on GNU/Linux was announced by a group of people at Sharif University of Technology which was a joke and had no real outcome. They just wanted to make a tremendous amount of money (our government pays very good money for this kind of projects and I've seen this a lot) and gain fame and good reputation for themselves.

Another weak possibility is maybe they wanted to get funded by the government and are after money?

Do not bother yourself. Usually, people here do not take this kind of projects seriously anyway.

Yes, I confirm that. As he (@prp-e) said in post #7, the project has no real goal and it looks like just a hobby in my point of view. You might don't take this seriously. In my opinion, they are just some teens who wants to show themselves as gods. Unlike @NuLL3rr0r, I don't believe that this project can help people to know more about FreeBSD (because of the looks of the project). They try to show the project a full operating system that is not FreeBSD. So this can't help others to know more about FreeBSD and so this is just a waste of time. In my opinion, they can help more if they contribute and translate more documents into Persian. We started to translate the FreeBSD Handbook (and other official/unofficial docs) a few month ago and right now we've translated most parts of the Handbook (the translated version is here). Contributing to projects like this is more useful.

@@prp-e, please don't consider this a personal attack. I was talking about a project, not a person.

Last edited by a moderator:
@bkouhi

Good job! Finally I'll be able to forward people to some place to learn more about FreeBSD, which is the documentation that you've translated.

SirDice said:
What's the goal? I mean, what are you planning to change that's done differently from PC-BSD, DesktopBSD, GhostBSD or FreeBSD itself?

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I'm left wondering why, there's no mention of any project goals, even on the website.

That.

What does Free/Net/Open/PC/DragonFly BSD (or Linux) not do that you are trying to accomplish, and have you attempted to submit patches to any of those rather than starting your own fork?

If it's just an ego stroking exercise, so that you can claim to be the project lead on an Open Source operating system then, well... good for you.

But unless you have some clearly defined goals that have not been accepted by any of the other existing projects, all you're doing is duplicating effort and removing potential resources from other projects.

matoatlantis said:
I glanced at the web page you posted and got stumbled upon the rules section:

... which got me wondering. Anyway good luck with your project.
We live in Iran and I bought hosting services from an Iranian provider ;)

@NuLL3rror What's your complete comment?

bkouhi said:
We started to translate the FreeBSD Handbook (and other official/unofficial docs) a few month ago and right now we've translated most parts of the Handbook (the translated version is here).
Thank you for that. Translating the Handbook (and possibly other documentation) is always welcome. In my opinion FreeBSD is one of the best-documented operating systems, at least in English. Translating this quality documentation into other languages can only make it even better.

prp-e said:
@NuLL3rror What's your complete comment?

Don't take this personally. But, your act of censorship was unprofessional. I exactly remember what I wrote on my comment. And, it was for your own good.

You know, and, I know this is not my complete comment. Or, maybe you don't remember or do not want to remember?

I don't care about this matter, anyway. But, I mentioned it here because I want you to know if you want to create a community around your open source project, you should treat people in a proper way. Remember! You're not going to get anywhere without a community around your project.

Besides that, the FLOSS world is about learning. If you want to get anywhere in the FLOSS world I recommend reading Producing Open Source Software: How to Run a Successful Free Software Project before releasing any open source software to the public.

As others mentioned, nobody here wants to rain on your parade. All they say is you're heading the wrong direction. Therefore, wasting your efforts.

Back