First experience from a new user: what doesn't work and workarounds.

Well, just logoff/login is enough to workaround this issue as X is restarted.

Just a small update: in this ten days or so I used FreeBSD as my daily driver and I have to say I'm really impressed, my personal workload is 99% unchanged. The only thing that doesn't work is iPhone backup and I had to fetch an old laptop (running W11 despite no TPM, no UEFI and no supported CPU :)) just to run iTunes. No big deal.

For my GPU suspend/resume problem: I updated to 15-CURRENT (BTW, the procedure is so well documented that it was a breeze for me) but the problem persists unfortunately.
I just got a FreeBSD desktop with xfce4 going, and it is looking pretty serviceable, too. The biggest problem is finding comparable apps. After 30 years of using Photoshop, Gimp is just not the same (and Scribus is not InDesign). But since I am currently unhappy with Adobe about some of their license policies, it is a good time for a change. (Going from Adobe Illustrator to Inkscape should be easier—although I have been using Illustrator off and on for years, I have never felt fluent in Illustrator.)

I am already using LibreOffice and LibreCAD on windows, and they both work on FreeBSD.

I have no experience with it but I'm told that krita is an awesome piece of software, you may try it instead of gimp (and possibly in our lifetime gimp 3 will be released, who knows...)

After a few weeks I'm updating my very first thread. I'm testing:

Code:
kern.vt.suspendswitch = 0

to see if it fixes my #1 issue. Well, it seems so - at least "vainfo" works after a suspend/resume cycle. Also vkmark(1) doesn't crash and its score before and after suspend is identical. It looks like mpv(1) works too.

Code:
[vo/gpu] Probing for best GPU context.
[vo/gpu/opengl] Initializing GPU context 'wayland'
[vo/gpu/opengl] Initializing GPU context 'x11egl'
[vo/gpu/x11] X11 opening display: :0.0
[vo/gpu/x11] Display 0 (eDP-1): [1920, 0, 3840, 1080] @ 60.020425 FPS
[vo/gpu/x11] Display 1 (HDMI-1): [0, 0, 1920, 1080] @ 74.972503 FPS
[vo/gpu/x11] Current display FPS: 60.020425
[vo/gpu/opengl] EGL_VERSION=1.5
[vo/gpu/opengl] EGL_VENDOR=Mesa Project
[vo/gpu/opengl] EGL_CLIENT_APIS=OpenGL OpenGL_ES
[vo/gpu/opengl] Trying to create Desktop OpenGL context.
[vo/gpu/opengl] Choosing visual EGL config 0x15, visual ID 0x21
[vo/gpu/x11] The XPresent extension was found.
[vo/gpu/x11] XPresent enabled.
[vo/gpu/opengl] GL_VERSION='4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 24.0.9'
[vo/gpu/opengl] Detected desktop OpenGL 4.6.
[vo/gpu/opengl] GL_VENDOR='Intel'
[vo/gpu/opengl] GL_RENDERER='Mesa Intel(R) Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)'
[vo/gpu/opengl] GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION='4.60'
[vo/gpu/opengl] Loaded extension GL_KHR_debug.
[vo/gpu] Testing FBO format rgba16f
[vo/gpu] Using FBO format rgba16f.
[vo/gpu] Assuming 60.020425 FPS for display sync.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mro
Back