Firefox/Opera/Flash

I'm new to this whole thing, so bear with...
I can't seem to run Firefox very well, crashes all the time on pages that normally worked quite well on Window/Linux/Anywhere else on the planet. Compiled it from source, just so you know. Nothing went wrong.

So I decided to switch over to Opera, which works awesome, I built it from source... Then I found out about the linux-flashplugin-9.0r152 and built that too. Opera didn't recognize it. I've searched on google and found some REAL OLD posts from when v7 first probably came around and it said to copy into /usr/local/lib/browser-plugins ... Did this. Not recognized. Have Opera trying to point to the directory. Still nothing.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone know what I need to do to get it to point to said plugin, or why my Firefox is exploding on me.
(Same explosion pages = Flickr, Facebook Home (but nothing else, just when I click "Home"), Webshots, probably some others, I got irked quick to test it out more.

Joshmotron said:
I'm new to this whole thing, so bear with...
I can't seem to run Firefox very well, crashes all the time on pages that normally worked quite well on Window/Linux/Anywhere else on the planet. Compiled it from source, just so you know. Nothing went wrong.

So I decided to switch over to Opera, which works awesome, I built it from source... Then I found out about the linux-flashplugin-9.0r152 and built that too. Opera didn't recognize it. I've searched on google and found some REAL OLD posts from when v7 first probably came around and it said to copy into /usr/local/lib/browser-plugins ... Did this. Not recognized. Have Opera trying to point to the directory. Still nothing.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone know what I need to do to get it to point to said plugin, or why my Firefox is exploding on me.
(Same explosion pages = Flickr, Facebook Home (but nothing else, just when I click "Home"), Webshots, probably some others, I got irked quick to test it out more.

Which version of FreeBSD are you running? Did you compile using ports? I would guess that there is also developer version of Firefox and that one will probably crash. I have never heard of anybody complaining about stable version of Firefox from FreeBSD ports. I am not a big fun of Firefox but stability is the list of Firefox problems.

If you just downloaded Firefox code and compiled yourself you are on your own.

How could you build Opera from the source when the source is closed? Do you work for Norvegian post office and have access to Opera's source code? The existing port is just downloading binary file from Opera web-page and it installs Opera binaries into appropriate directory. Which version of Opera did you install. There is FreeBSD version of Opera and one can also run Linux version of Opera. If you are using FreeBSD version of Opera you must use plugin wrappers in order to use Flush plugin since it is made for Linux version. I heard of competent users running Linux Flash plugin 9 on FreeBSD but I think it is still non trivial.

Ok, sorry for the confusion, I guess my terminology is incorrect. I just compiled it all using ports (both Firefox and Opera and the flash-9 plugin).

Sorry for double post too, but I'm running FreeBSD7.1, I did a portupgrade of everything yesterday before installing Firefox,

Sorry ONCE AGAIN... I got it working.

Simple procedure = make install clean linux-flashplugin7, automatically installs nswrapperplugin, then nspluginwrapper -v -a -i, make sure your Opera is pointing to directory, BAM, works.

Joshmotron said:
I can't seem to run Firefox very well, crashes all the time on pages that normally worked quite well on Window/Linux/Anywhere else on the planet.

This is what's said in pkg-message (www/firefox35):
Firefox 3.5 and HTML5

Certain functions used to display HTML5 elements need the sem module.

If your Firefox crashes with the following message while viewing a
HTML5 page:
"Bad system call (core dumped)"

you need to load the sem module (kldload sem).

To load sem on every boot put the following into your
/boot/loader.conf:
sem_load="YES"

It might be a completely different problem though.

Can you specify which port you're installing from since there are different ports of the same software (like www/firefox3 and www/firefox35).

Back