Firefox not running Spotify WebPlayer or Netflix

Hi,
I always preferred using the webplayer instead of installing 3rd party tools in the system.
Is there a way to run Spotify WebPlayer or Netflix in FreeBSD without Linux virtualization?
I don't want to run virtualization as my systems memory is not that high and I need the memory and cpu for all other tools while working.
Netflix for my favourite series seems to be not working either.

Is there a way?
Is there a plan to resolve this in future releases?

Netflix, likely not. It requires the widevine DRM, which is only available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android. Not sure which DRM spotify uses but it will be the same.

Is there a plan to resolve this in future releases?
Has nothing to do with FreeBSD.

I don't want to run virtualization as my systems memory is not that high and I need the memory and cpu for all other tools while working.
Netflix for my favourite series seems to be not working either.

The Linuxulator does not need additional memory like a virtual machine would.

I had to watch a video with DRM, this has been achieved by using Linuxulator and so I can confirm what cracauer@ said, it doesn't need more memory than a "normal browser" would use.
I followed this blog tutorial (it's in German and in English) because it's quick, but I sure will also try later these two:

But what's the deal with FreeBSD and DRM? It's just because the code is not open source and can't be built?
How Linux resolved that? It' open source too right?

But what's the deal with FreeBSD and DRM? It's just because the code is not open source and can't be built?

No, the DRM stuff is not part of the open source Chromium. You can only get it in the binary for Linux.

Hi, I used this to install Brave on a FreeBSD 13.1, with Linux Compatibility:

Works perfect :)
It may work but I never liked that idea of need to install something, some other browser with some sort of system hack just to do something that it just simply works in Firefox everywhere else.

No, the DRM stuff is not part of the open source Chromium. You can only get it in the binary for Linux.
So meaning that there are pre compiled binaries, close source then, that nobody knows exactly what it does beside that rendering who knows, and that are installed in famous open source linux system.
I see, thanks.

It's because those DRM modules are proprietary software and the vendor decided to only build binaries for windows, mac and (after a lot of outcry and pressure) for linux to support at least one open source OS.
Not only is the source code not open, but their highly restrictive EULAs usually even strictly forbids to emulate, reverse engineer or in any other way mimic that piece of software.

Back