Solved Firefox nightly

Try to compile firefox nightly (42.0a2). Got message:
Code:
 error: unknown type name 'PRUint32 (same with PRUint16 and PRUint8)
in C progams and header files.
Included <prtypes.h> but no effect. Don't know from where to include (don't really believe it is a include problem) or if it is something with versions or namespace. Someday knows a solution or hint?

Not that I'm trying to discourage you but Firefox is a very complex piece of software and it may be a better choice to wait for the port to be updated. If you want to run nightly why not just download the Linux version? It may work as is with Linux emulation turned on.

Yes I know. It is kind of experiment for me. I had a lot of work till now, and I know it will be more... But I have time, and I want try it (and I hope learn something). ;-))

Btw, the Linux version don't work.
Code:
 ./run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute ELF binary type "0" not known

Btw, the linux version don't work.
Code:
 ./run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute ELF binary type "0" not known
FreeBSD's Linux emulation only supports 32-bit binary compatibility, so you need to get the 32-bit Firefox Linux binary. Work has been done on 64-bit Linux binary emulation, but it didn't make it into 10.2.

Thanks, but it is a path problem.
Code:
[FILE]libgtk-3.so.0[/FILE]: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Code:
which libgtk-3.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so.0
Don't know where should I place it, so it does not collide with "normal" firefox.

If anything, using the existing shell of the www/firefox port and getting that up to date would be the way to go. Maybe as you get the hang of things you may end up being the first person to submit patches for the Firefox port. Perhaps the future maintainer after that? Everyone's learning starts somewhere.

I tried nightly in the www/firefox port, but I can't work it out. It is harder as with the tarball. But wth the source it is more work. I have too less knowledge with gnu makefiles. And the nightly sourceball don't deliver the gnu makefiles. I have to do it be myself. (Port makefiles are a lot easier). I was able to port firefox-41.0.b2 (only problem was videos freezes and segfaulted firefox). But there seems less differences. Between 40 and 42 there are more differences. E.g for each tab a own memory space like chromium. It is a complete different behaviour with the firefox tarball or in the port. As I try to compile the source I found for example two errors: The first was someone forgot this-> in some classes in four files. The other was: in five files some classes missing the default constructor. As I looked in the internet, I see these are old errors, but I could find nothing about that in the port patches (Maybe the last ones could be handled by makefile instructions, or mozilla includes the patches in the release version and I have not recognize that. But the first ones will be fatal - there are a lot of things, I wonder about).

For example this patch: http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/ca41c5663999. But the error still exists and seems never changed in the source. And this was 2011.

Got aurora to compile, but can't started.
Code:
/usr/local/lib/compat/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.21required by firefox not found.
But I can't link to libstdc++.so.6 - will causes problems I think. Any way to use this library, it is in /usr/local/lib/.
Got it. But firefox-beta (41.0b2) segfaults with videos and aurora starts but has no menu titles and I can write nothing in the urlbar .Ok, I had to search, but my initial question is solved.
Edit: video problem in 41.0b2 solved: forgot --enable-gstreamer.

In the meantime aurora/nightly works. Was a problem with the profile. (only problem has the same high CPU usage with videos like version 40 - version 41 has normal usage - I know 42 is not ready yet).

Would anyone like to get things going again with Nightly?

The months ahead will be particularly interesting, it'll be smart if we can test on FreeBSD.

Back