Firefox is leaking memory on my system

Browsers are one of the worst inventions of mankind. They keep getting more and more complex and slower and slower.
*snip*
JavaScript should be banned.

www/firefox used to have to option available to disable JavaScript back in the day. Now it's been removed from the Preferences options.

The uBlock Origin extension has the option to disable JavaScript. NoScript can be set to only allow scripts you choose to run. I use both and let NoScript handle the scripting. No scripts run on my machines unless I specifically allow it and no ads at all.

While I have had more problems with crashes with recent versions of www/firefox it's not been as bad lately. I do prefer www/firefox-esr but it's hard to tell any difference in using one from another.

I don't like Javascript, I like PHP, but Javascript has more capabilities, which in few cases is good.
Browsers are one of the worst inventions of mankind. They keep getting more and more complex and slower and slower.
Then how else do you access the Internet effectively and FreeBSD forums?
Firefox had problems, but it's running smoothly for me now, unless a Javascript script runs in circles, which still, my browser doesn't crash.

Same here. After I made the aforementioned modification, Firefox has behaved itself. So far, so good as they say....
It's now 2 days since I made the changes. I've opened my regular web pages, played a number of YouTube videos, downloaded some archived MP3 files, and Firefox has remained stable without any crashes.

I must have done something right.... ;)

If I have maybe 2 or 3 tabs open, however, it seems to play nice with me.

+1

It doesn't need to be a memory leak in the accurate sense, does it? (I.E. never releasing for other programs). It can just be a spendthrift (like I am in the hobby store). When people use only a tab or two, the wallet still has some dough left in it. I personally think browsers are crazy spend thrifts, which is ridiculous, but people want the "instant action" experience that memory gives better than cache. Actually, so do I - but only use a couple tabs usually - it seems prudent for security reasons if nothing else.

BTW: I prefer a 5/8 wave.

Firefox 110 causes just about anything to crash (KWin, amdgpu.ko, Xorg, anything) if it starts using up too much RAM... Unfortunately, it seems to be the only usable browser... I may resort to sandboxing the process or otherwise figure out how to limit RAM usage for Firefox... 15 minutes of research, and I used the following query on Google: how to limit total amount of RAM a process uses in freebsd. And this is what I came up with, I think that's a useful hit:
. It talks about limiting RAM usage for jails, but it should be equally applicable to the Firefox memory leaks. Apparently, the FreeBSD version of memory is not well-implemented for Firefox, which is unfortunate.

Edit: After reading the rctl(8) manpage, I'm beginning to have my doubts as to whether or not -memoryuse flag is used or defined correctly by the klarasystems blogger... Well, there are ways to verify that and connect the dots. Sometimes, the manpages use different terminology than expected, and then users/readers gotta be able to connect those dots. That's what RTFM is often about, after all 🤷‍♂️

Back