Firefox convenience

sysadminotaur.gif

All my Facebook posts are public, there's my address, phone number, ... You can come to my place right now from my profile on here and it won't even take you 90 seconds to find out exactly where I live, and my phone number.

*snip*

Come at me(, bro).

This is an aspect of Internet privacy I didn't want to touch on, but since you brought it up.

What a fluffy, pink cloud you must live on... Who needs a reason to harm you? Not that I couldn't pick one out from the various insults you've tossed around freely, had I a mind to.

But I don't. I would rather mentor you than do you harm and won't go further so as not to give anyone any ideas.

Against even the remote possibility that someone wants to help you...
Usually, someone who wants to help you, already knows you, or who you are.

saving you shopping time, and possibly disappointment? Keep you informed about what's important to you, and what interests you?
Companies are out to make money, and make efficient how they make money off of you. Some help you, but the companies that are helping you, are providing good services for the price, not figuring out how to take your every dollar, to give you as little value as possible, not just when you object.

I've done nothing wrong, I've got nothing to hide
I have nothing to hide, and I don't have much going on in my life, either...
Yes, I've said something like that before. I thought I can be completely honest, because I haven't done anything wrong. Then I learned that people will make bad assumptions, based on their own lack of worth, because they don't have the values or principles you have. It doesn't matter how good you are or think you are, or your opinion, most of the population doesn't bother anyone. You have to worry about less than 1% of the population, who you are lucky if you don't come across. And they don't think like the normal person.

statistically, and effectively, protecting the people who do have something to hide by offering them a crowd to blend into.
This is how I mildly feel about tor. The only people who belong there are journalists, those living in oppressive countries, and the like, or those doing what they're not supposed to. Others who use it aren't intending to blend in with hiding around the wrong crowd, but out of ignorance. If want to use a proxy, every now and then, use a proxy, but not a proxy like tor. They hold your data for about month, then they are meant to delete it. So, that's meant for if someone does something wrong, they can't hide that.

Look, from some of the retorts you've made, none taken, and I can still learn from your point of view. It doesn't bother me that the government gets metadata which was used for preventing crimes. What bothers me is criminal organizations like Wikileaks exploiting to harm Democracy under some fake guise. What bothers me is how companies like Facebook will psychologically profile you, to be used against you strategically, not for doing anything wrong, but for monetary gain. People have been profiled, for what lies to tell, what false promises to make, what people want and it was used against the American people. Psychological profiling is dangerous, because it's not about if you did something wrong, it's about, what can 1% (on the scale of psychopathy or greed) of the population exploit the rest of the population. Right now I see it as a case of persuading, in the future I see it as a case of exploitation. What rules will they set for credit cards, so that you won't quickly notice how they're cheating you: you can't beat a computer at chess. Do you really have a choice, or do you think you have a choice, if a company brought up what you wanted, based on how it psychologically analyzed you?

Here's two extreme cases: look at the past serial murders in Gaineville. The community did nothing wrong, they aren't special either, but all that took is for some psycho from Louisiana to learn about how idealistic that place was for others, then go there. No one definitely wants their address or community going out like that for that to happen for some cynical reason.
The other case is exploitation: someone will extort money or worse, because of pictures that were private. They try to extort celebrities for money all the time. Criminals even try to exploit people to go into slavery, or they will put their photos out. In which case, it's better to let the world see naked pictures, than be subject to that. I don't have to worry about those, but those are real case scenarios.

Depending on where you live, putting the details of any portion of your life online can be dangerous. There are many countries that actively scrape the internet, and especially social media sites, to find dissenters of the ruling party. An easy way to categorize and maybe eliminate political/religious enemies is to check what they believe in their own words.

Social and cultural shifts can quickly change policy and law in a nation. What was once legal can be illegal the next day, and what was once a valid viewpoint can become punishable by jail or death. Even if you delete your profile on social media sites, the data is still most likely archived and searchable by whomever has power.

I'm not saying that everyone everywhere is in imminent danger if they don't have good privacy etiquette. However, some people today, even people I know personally, would be arrested (or worse) in their nation state if they wrote about what they actually believed on a social media page. Big Brother is only getting bigger, and such circumstances may be coming to a municipality or nation near you. Trading privacy for convenience now will leave no protection against oppression in the future.

But in trying to be with people who are like-minded, I don't mind getting rid of the people who don't get me, or who disapprove of me,what I do, or what I think.. They can go be with people who understand them, and I can go be with people who like me, and hopefully this will lead to everyone having positive relationships...

Knowing that companies are gathering my info to sell me stuff is enough to protect myself against that... I can easily identify when they try to pull that one off...

Sure, there are passive-aggressive little f- in the world, and sure, not everyone's acting for the well-being of others, but your customers are not going to bring you income if they're not healthy, or wealthy... so it's a very fundamental business - even as far as drug dealers are concerned - that your customers' well-being is your profit... whether your business is healthcare or armaments, it's in your best interest to invest in your customers' well-being... simply because it's those horses who end-up putting the food on your table... Healthier horses, better food...

Fear is contagious, though... maybe you guys just hang out with the wrong crowd...

I'm not saying to tempt the devil, either... and I guess you should just be yourself, and live the way you want...

My only point, though, was just that most people don't really have to concern themselves with security and privacy, nor take any extraordinary measures to protect themselves... I think the chances OP gets a heart attack from the added fictional stress he imagines exists are a lot greater than the chances anything at all ever happens to him from his information or in link to his computer... security or otherwise...

All my Facebook posts are public, there's my address, phone number, ... You can come to my place right now from my profile on here and it won't even take you 90 seconds to find out exactly where I live, and my phone number.
So what do you think could happen if you announced that you were going on a vacation?

I glossed over this at first when I noticed someone else quoting it. Be very, very, careful there. Not everyone has the best of intentions.

Be very, very, careful there. Not everyone has the best of intentions.

Mine are good, that's why I didn't and won't elaborate on the possibilities, but you are correct, sir.

There are search engines devoted to finding what poorandunlucky has freely put out there about himself.

... nothing?

What do you imagine could happen?

My neighbors are going to watch over my stuff while I'm gone, maybe the people over there are going to be waiting for me, or would have something ready for me when I get there, ...

I don't know... Nobody's supposed to be reading my Facebook other than my boyfriend, though... I specify that at regular intervals... If you read it even just a bit you'll realize it's all messages addressed to one person in particular, and that they don't concern anyone else than me and him... If you read my Facebook without making your presence known, you have a serious problem, and it's called stalking, or spying, and the fact that you know about my Facebook and read it tells me you're a creep, and I should keep away from you... It's a way I can protect myself, too... In real life. I don't care about computers.... Other than that, you can see that I don't have much of a life other than my significant other, skateboarding, my xbox, and my teddy bears... and computer problems.... And other than that, it's somewhere you can get my phone number and my address from my name... It's a phone book...

I'm in the phone book.... oh my god...

I'm going to bed.

Nobody's supposed to be reading my Facebook other than my boyfriend, though... I specify that at regular intervals... If you read it even just a bit you'll realize it's all messages addressed to one person in particular, and that they don't concern anyone else than me and him... If you read my Facebook without making your presence known, you have a serious problem, and it's called stalking, or spying, and the fact that you know about my Facebook and read it tells me you're a creep, and I should keep away from you...
His name is Mark Zuckerberg. :D
(Ok, that was a joke.)

Your boyfriend, Zuckerberg, and everyone who paid Facebook to have access to user data using some api. What could also include some people making money from scam and others shady activities.

These things may be seen as trivial, when they are viewed as stand alone concepts, but in aggregation these trivials add up until one of them is the last straw on the camel's back. So, a screenshot may be a straw in that sense.

Depending on your perspective, FF may be bloated. Everything's relative. But, we live in an era where the bloat is being baked into the machinery, and increasingly it's being set as a mandatory dependency to do pretty basic things. For some internet activities, relating to specific sites, I simply cannot get the job done without some of that bloat. I try to rely on text-mode or js-free browsing when I can, but that doesn't cover everything.

Additionally, as these things become more complicated, there will be fewer alternatives due to the barrier-to-entry (that is - the complication). The Web-assembly thing is another chunk of "stuff" that is part of this troubling, growing trend (pun intended).

Snowden and Greenwald are paranoid self serving self-inflating hypocrites. They act so scared as if they are defending something, yet they easily hand off data to one of the most oppresive countries.

My cell phone isn't a toy in my crib, though.. I'm quite aware what I post and don't post online... And while I do believe in things like humans' ability to sense things in the quantum field, I'm not about to believe there's going to be a mind reader in a white tent on the street...

come on, those people are idiots to begin with...

"OMG, my bank is trying to tell me there's a problem with that Tahitian prince trying to wire me my shares from the gold mine... how convenient!"

That's convenient.

Screenshots? Not so much... posting screenshots is hard for most people, and does take me more than the 5 seconds it would take me using Firefox' implementation, and it is sometimes frustrating when there's a size limitation and I'm trying to post a 1920x1280 PNG or something...

Nigerian prince? Bank on Facebook? Mind reader on the street in a white tent? Those are obviously scams. Mozilla trying to see how people use their product? Not so much...

Back