Firefox/Chrome support in FreeBSD

i'm considering switching (or at least partially) to FreeBSD due to my personal qualms with Apples direction of their Macs. But I need a well supported, working browser to make the switch. How's the browser support nowadays? FreshPorts indicates the latest versions each are ported; any anomalies i should be aware of?

Thanks.

Both work ok, latest version or ESR for Firefox if you prefer that.

There is also epiphany/midori/iridium/waterfox/qutebrowser/seamonkey/surf/...

I would make sure that your wireless adapter is supported. I have 2012 Macbook Pro with a wifi adapter that isn't supported (BCM4331). This isn't the worst thing ever if you have access to an ethernet cord, but it makes it tough to do certain things. If its not supported, and you know you can replace the wifi card, I would try that. Otherwise you will have to resort to dedicating one of your precious usb ports to a supported dongle for wireless access. Its unfortunate that this card isn't supported on FreeBSD because I have little to complain about otherwise, for the most part.

I cannot seem to be able to get any extensions to install in firefox or waterfox. when I click on add, it downloads them but nothing shows up anywhere.... Any ideas??

I would make sure that your wireless adapter is supported. I have 2012 Macbook Pro with a wifi adapter that isn't supported (BCM4331). This isn't the worst thing ever if you have access to an ethernet cord, but it makes it tough to do certain things. If its not supported, and you know you can replace the wifi card, I would try that. Otherwise you will have to resort to dedicating one of your precious usb ports to a supported dongle for wireless access. Its unfortunate that this card isn't supported on FreeBSD because I have little to complain about otherwise, for the most part.

I'm glad you've mentioned this. I'm assuming this is the pre-Retina 2012 macs? I'm particularly fond of those due to being able to replace the parts yourself.

Buying a cheap x220 or T420 from the fleabay is enticing as well.

I'm glad you've mentioned this. I'm assuming this is the pre-Retina 2012 macs? I'm particularly fond of those due to being able to replace the parts yourself.

Buying a cheap x220 or T420 from the fleabay is enticing as well.

You are correct. It is a pre-retina Macbook Pro. They are nice, but you can't go wrong with the Thinkpads either. The price point is hard to argue. I will probably buy myself one at some point. Vermaden has a nice walkthrough for setting up FreeBSD on a thinkpad on his blog. If you go that direction it might be helpful.

You are correct. It is a pre-retina Macbook Pro. They are nice, but you can't go wrong with the Thinkpads either. The price point is hard to argue. I will probably buy myself one at some point. Vermaden has a nice walkthrough for setting up FreeBSD on a thinkpad on his blog. If you go that direction it might be helpful.

That's great to hear. Thanks :)

That is the best possible option no matter if You want to run BSD or anything else.
He said he wants user serviceable parts.
I think its fair to tell him IBM Laptops uses a BIOS whitelist and you cant put whatever you want in the slots.
Quite preposterous that all these people goat how great the IBM's are.
I don't get it.
Want to slip in an Atheros module. Forget it.
Want to slip in a Sierra modem. Forget it.
Look for IBM FRU units only. Maybe then it might work.

I know what I am saying is not popular. But coming from the old school this is bull.
Whitelist computers should be called out for the bastards they are. Not promoted.

He said he wants user serviceable parts.
I think its fair to tell him IBM Laptops uses a BIOS whitelist and you cant put whatever you want in the slots.
Quite preposterous that all these people goat how great the IBM's are.
I don't get it.
Want to slip in an Atheros module. Forget it.
Want to slip in a Sierra modem. Forget it.
Look for IBM FRU units only. Maybe then it might work.

I know what I am saying is not popular. But coming from the old school this is bull.
Whitelist computers should be called out for the bastards they are. Not promoted.
Its not about IBM or Lenovo.

T420/T520/W520/X220 are laptops with THE BEST keyboard layout out there - on par with DELL D630/D830 and close to DELL E6400/E6410/E6500/E6510.

About whitelisting, you can flash any of those ThinkPads with modified bios that allows you to install ANYTHING.

Today there are no laptops with real/usable keyboards, the ThinkPad 25 Anniversary is an exception but they made only 5000 of them ... and they cost $1800 not $180 ...

vermaden, Please don't take offense at what I said. It was not directed at you. I have strong opinions about hardware freedom.

Some people might never even crack open the case so the issue is moot.

vermaden, Please don't take offense at what I said. It was not directed at you. I have strong opinions about hardware freedom.

Some people might never even crack open the case so the issue is moot.
I do not take it personally, no problem.

Its just BIG enigma for me why PINEBOOK or LIBREM 'free' laptops do not have REAL/USABLE 7-row ketboard like the ThinkPads. Why they have this island shit wannabe keyboard bullshit ...

Its just BIG enigma for me why PINEBOOK or LIBREM 'free' laptops do not have REAL/USABLE 7-row ketboard like the ThinkPads. Why they have this island shit wannabe keyboard bullshit ...
Probably because the majority of users (aka the average ones) consider it more "stylish". Generally speaking, I see the tendence of sacrificing functionality in favour of aesthetic a lot these days...
9771fc90c0c90135050f005056a9545d

Probably because the majority of users (aka the average ones) consider it more "stylish". Generally speaking, I see the tendence of sacrificing functionality in favour of aesthetic a lot these days...
Do you really believe that Librem or Pinebook laptops are targeted at 'majority users'?

Beastie7

---- about browsers ---------------
I abandoned Chromium for Firefox a few months ago due to the
problem of hanging tabs.

Firefox works well, it has only a problem, it eats a lot of memory and
it releases it only when you kill ALL its windows.

I am re-trying Chromium right now, I can tell you that it seems to work.

_ I edit my original message of 10 mins ago _

*** PROBLEM: Whatsapp still hangs *****
I will report in bugzilla.

Code:
$> pkg info | grep chrom
chromium-67.0.3396.87

-----------------------------------------------------------

Beastie7

---- about browsers ---------------
I abandoned Chromium for Firefox a few months ago due to the
problem of hanging tabs.

Firefox works well, it has only a problem, it eats a lot of memory and
it releases it only when you kill ALL its windows.

I am re-trying Chromium right now, I can tell you that it seems to work.

_ I edit my original message of 10 mins ago _

*** PROBLEM: Whatsapp still hangs *****
I will report in bugzilla.

Code:
$> pkg info | grep chrom
chromium-67.0.3396.87

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note that the fix for chromium is only available in -CURRENT. It will be MFC'ed as soon as possible.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=212812#c98

Thank you for info cpm@ !

I gave it a shot because in bugzilla timp87 [comment 94] said:
"I can't any problems on chromium-67.0.3396.87 anymore."
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=212812

Running -CURRENT as desktop is out of my reach unfortunately.
I must stick to stable and packages, slow machine.

Can you reproduce my bug in -CURRENT ?
_edited_ The bug is: "if you move to a whatsapp channel containing a video
then Whatsapp tab hangs".

Sorry for beginner question but what does "MFC" mean ?

bye
n.

Thank you for info cpm@ !

I gave it a shot because in bugzilla timp87 [comment 94] said:
"I can't any problems on chromium-67.0.3396.87 anymore."
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=212812

Running -CURRENT as desktop is out of my reach unfortunately.
I must stick to stable and packages, slow machine.

Can you reproduce my bug in -CURRENT ?

Sure! I'll take a look ASAP.
Sorry for beginner question but what does "MFC" means ?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/freebsd-glossary.html#mfc-glossary

Back