Solved firefox-72.0_1,1 Segmentation Fault

Our unwillingness to acknowledge drawbacks is a bad signal.
You are complaining about problems you are having but all operating systems have problems with installations and programs and all kinds of things and they take time and effort to fix. You go to Linux boards and you'll find the same and similar complaints. No one is ignoring that there are issues but it's not as if no one is doing anything about them. Such is the life of product development.

The complaints often expressed on this forum reveal a strong psychological bias: we live under an unprecedented, ever increasing social and media pressure that conditions us to avoid thinking and to reason using cliches instead.

The consequence of this bias on FreeBSD is that people giving it a try begin their exploration with trying and finding the closest cliche they know that could apply to FreeBSD. If the match is not perfect, they get upset or disappointed and complain for that mismatch revealing the gap between their cliche and reality, and the adaptive effort they'd have to make to fill the gap.

In such an event, these people would greatly benefit from asking themselves a few questions, to begin with:

- Why do they give another system a try?
- What's at stake here for such reactions to occur?

After all, they're happy with what they already have - which is their current "reference cliche" - so what?

Anyway, that's their business - their personal development - and we can't do anything about it.

I feel we spend too much time on such complaints.

Moreover, their bias drives them away from any possible benefit of their exploration, so it's time lost for everyone.

You are complaining about problems you are having but all operating systems have problems with installations and programs and all kinds of things and they take time and effort to fix. You go to Linux boards and you'll find the same and similar complaints. No one is ignoring that there are issues but it's not as if no one is doing anything about them. Such is the life of product development.

Dude! You have just turned the whole discussion upside down. Try to understand what I am complaining about here. My point was that the current behavior of installing incompatible kernel modules automatically is something we should not accept as normal behavior - something that needs fixing. It has not been fixed for months despite we see an influx of people stepping on the same rake. It's not a third party software issue. It's not about home users or professionals. It's not about Linux or other operating systems. If you agree this needs fixing then we're on the same page.

My solution to the problems presented in the original question of this thread (the segmentation fault) was to 1) do a pkg update and only THEN 2) handle my own personal issues with the video adapter. The update took care of the Firefox issue. Then the video driver issue was easy.

Although I may be regarded by many as somewhat of a "noob" since my last professional use of FreeBSD was at least 10 years ago, I regard FreeBSD as basically a very, very solid underpinning of whatever software I must use in a professional environment, and since FreeBSD is "human-constructed", of course it must be continually upgraded and/or modified to meet unexpected changes in the environment in which it must work.

I don't want to make FreeBSD work with 3rd party software: I want the 3rd party software to work with FreeBSD.

Ken Gordon

Back