firefox 4 b3...

Modify the firefox development branch port files of
/usr/ports/www/firefox3-devel
with the info given or make a new branch.

Then cd into that port directory and
Code:
sudo make && make install && make install clean

You will most probably run into problems.

Let us know how it turns out.

FYI this is not a reference to the port but rather another way to run FF4beta.

I enabled the linuxulator kernel module and then installed some linux libs (available as packages). After this I simplay downloaded the latest Linux binary and ran it - and it works almost perfectly. The only exception is flash which as always will cause problems.

This method still has the advantage that one can grab the latest binary off the Mozilla web site and be able to run it straight away as well as apply updates immediately. As for the flash problem I still run the native FF3.x port with flash support.

(And apologies for hijacking the original thread.)

i did a minute ago!

edit : Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:45:00 +0000
Your mail to 'freebsd-gecko' with the subject

firefox 4 beta3...

Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.

The reason it is being held:

SpamAssassin identified this message as possible spam

Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
notification of the moderator's decision. If you would like to cancel
this posting, please visit the following URL:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

PLEASE NOTE! If you would like to post freely to the list, please
subscribe first. If you post from multiple addresses, you can
subscribe each address and go into the options page and select 'no
mail' for all but one address. This will allow you to post without
delay in the future.

Sorry for the hassle, but certain immature people made this necessary.

Don't know what your actual question is but a few things to clarify.

The Gecko Team consists of a few people that can be reached by gecko@ and there is also a public FreeBSD User mailinglist freebsd-gecko@. You need to subscribe to the list first if you want to send something to it.

The starting question was if there is a Firefox 4.0 beta3 port and the answer was already given. It's available in the Gecko experimental repository and you will also need the latest nspr port.

https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/freebsd-gecko/browser/branches/experimental/devel/nspr
https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/freebsd-gecko/browser/branches/experimental/www/firefox-devel

Mind the Link at the bottom of the pages that says "Download in other formats: Zip Archive", extract the content of the archives and first upgrade nspr and then build and install firefox-devel as usual with "make && make deinstall && make install clean".

I have only tested firefox 4.0 beta6 and PGO did improve JavaScript performance by about 5 to 10%. But beta7 should again be around 50% percent faster than beta6. Only tested with kraken benchmark.

I just tested a slightly modified patch of ports/152477 which enables nanojit. That gives me around 8 times better JavaScript performance. Will be committed to our experimental firefox4 port soon.

Back