Finished: CALL FOR TESTERS Ralink wireless run(4) usb driver for FreeBSD

PseudoCylon said:
Actually,
Code:
run0: device  timeout
and
Code:
run_do_request: Control request failed,  USB_ERR_TIMEOUT (retrying)
are 2 different error.

I'm sorry as it looks like I was away for too long, indeed! My initial post in this thread was in regards to a "device timeout" error message. You provided a patch to correct that error. Indeed, once I properly integrated your patch into my pfSense/FreeBSD build process, that error no longer appears.

My latest post, in which you noted the new error, relates to a new behavior while running a build with your patch applied. In this patched build, I am unable to connect to the device with it configured in HOSTAP mode. I was posting all the diagnostic output in hopes that you could further assist/advise me with the new error.

Historically, all the testing I have performed within VirtualBox has yielded the same results as when tested on "native" hardware. I can say this since I initially noticed this latest problem when I installed the patched kernel on my primary router. I was anticipating normal behavior aside from correcting the prior "device timeout" issue. Once I discovered the new issue though, that was replicated in a VirtualBox environment, also.

As always, any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

R/
wbedard

Just recapping,
1) The AP was working until device timeout error message appears.
2) After applied the patch, the device timeout disappears, but no station can associate with the AP.

Then, I guess I screwed creating the patch. The patch should be
Code:
[B]diff --git a/if_run.c b/if_run.c
--- a/if_run.c
+++ b/if_run.c[/B]
[color="Blue"]@@ -2705,6 +2705,5 @@ run_bulk_tx_callbackN(struct usb_xfer *xfer, usb_error_t error, unsigned int index)[/color]
         struct run_endpoint_queue *pq = &sc->sc_epq[index];
         struct mbuf *m;
         usb_frlength_t size;
[color="Red"]-        unsigned int len;[/color]
         int actlen;
         int sumlen;
[color="Blue"]@@ -2751,6 +2750,9 @@ tr_setup:[/color]
                 size = sizeof(data->desc);
                 usbd_copy_in(pc, 0, &data->desc, size);
                 usbd_m_copy_in(pc, size, m, 0, m->m_pkthdr.len);
[color="Green"]+                size += m->m_pkthdr.len;
+                usbd_frame_zero(pc, size, ((-size) & 3) + 8);
+                size += ((-size) & 3) + 8;[/color]

vap = data->ni->ni_vap;
                 if (ieee80211_radiotap_active_vap(vap)) {
[color="Blue"]@@ -2771,10 +2770,7 @@ tr_setup:[/color]

[color="Red"]-                /* align end on a 4-bytes boundary */
-                len = (size + IEEE80211_CRC_LEN + m->m_pkthdr.len + 3) & ~3;
-[/color]
                 DPRINTFN(11, "sending frame len=%u xferlen=%u @ index %d\n",
                     m->m_pkthdr.len, len, index);

[color="Red"]-                usbd_xfer_set_frame_len(xfer, 0, len);[/color]
[color="Green"]+                usbd_xfer_set_frame_len(xfer, 0, size);[/color]
                 usbd_xfer_set_priv(xfer, data);

usbd_transfer_submit(xfer);
The second hunk is the same as before.

Sorry, my bad.

PseudoCylon said:
Just recapping,
1) The AP was working until device timeout error message appears.
2) After applied the patch, the device timeout disappears, but no station can associate with the AP.
Sorry, my bad.

You recapped it correctly and no worries about the erroneous patch. I look it that as "good news" since it's easier to move forward toward a solution. Much better than the prospect of having to play detective with a new device.

I'll start a new build this afternoon and let you know as soon as I some results. Thanks again!

R/
wbedard

PseudoCylon said:
Code:
[B]diff --git a/if_run.c b/if_run.c
[/B][color=Blue]...[/color]
[color=Red]-                /* align end on a 4-bytes boundary */
-                len = (size + IEEE80211_CRC_LEN + m->m_pkthdr.len + 3) & ~3;
-[/color]
                     m->m_pkthdr.len, len, index);

[color=Red]-                usbd_xfer_set_frame_len(xfer, 0, len);[/color]
[color=Green]+                usbd_xfer_set_frame_len(xfer, 0, size);[/color]
                 usbd_xfer_set_priv(xfer, data);

Currently, I'm getting a build failure using the patch above. Looking over the code and previous patches presented in this thread, did you also intend to remove the DPRINTFN line, as well? The error I'm getting is an undeclared variable for "len" (iirc), first used in that line.

R/
wbedard

Please change len to size. (Leave m_pkthdr.len as is.)
Code:
[color="Red"]-                    m->m_pkthdr.len, len, index);[/color]
[color="Green"]+                    m->m_pkthdr.len, size, index);[/color]

PseudoCylon said:
Please change len to size. (Leave m_pkthdr.len as is.)
Code:
[color=Red]-                    m->m_pkthdr.len, len, index);[/color]
[color=Green]+                    m->m_pkthdr.len, size, index);[/color]

Hmmm, even with the newest patch, I am still unable to establish a connection.

By way of background, I did a hard re-think to make sure I wasn't missing something. In the process, I did discover something that made me concerned that I had wasted a bit of your time. After testing that possibility, I don't believe that's the case but I'd like to keep you informed as to my testing procedures, if nothing else for posterity. In VirtualBox, I have a couple of ways to test builds, either by booting a LiveCD directly or by installing it to a virtual drive where I get the benefit of persistent settings across boots. For my reference VM (stock pfSense 2.1/FreeBSD 8.3), I have installed it to a virtual drive. For my patch builds, I have been simply booting the LiveCD, running the connectivity tests and copying the kernel over, if desired. Recently, I decided to remove the virtual drive from my reference VM and boot that also from the LiveCD. Soon thereafter though, I realized that I could no longer connect to my USB NIC access point even under this reference VM, which has historically provided me with the standard "device timeout" behavior. After some additional testing, it appears to be simply a side-effect of the pfSense LiveCD which I am not about to ask you to help me troubleshoot. However, that got me concerned that my recent testing of your patched builds might have been invalid. So, I installed builds using both versions of your patch to separate virtual disks and conducted my connectivity tests again...with the same "unable to connect" results. Additionally, I built the "reference/release" ISO for pfSense 2.1 using the same build process and conducted my connectivity tests again, installed to a virtual drive, of course...with the same "able to connect but with eventual device timeout" results. Previously, I had been using the reference ISO downloaded from the pfSense website.

At this point, I feel much more comfortable that neither my testing process nor my build procedures are "handicapping" your driver patch. So, I reluctantly have to hand the ball back to you in the hope that you can further revise your patch for this device. As always, I am mostly focused on "helping you help me" so there's no rush on this. I will endeavor to assist you with any add'l testing possible on my end. Thanks again for all your help so far!

R/
wbedard

PseudoCylon said:
Can you run the stock driver with debug level of 1 until the problem occurs?
# sysctl hw.usb.run.debug=1

Per your request...http://pastebin.com/XnDXc1Rb

That's the soup-to-nuts output from system boot to detaching the interface. Basically, I attached the interface, setup the access point, made the connection and started streaming from Youtube until the stream stalled. At that time, the device still showed that it was connected and the debug output was still going. So, I then downed the interface in order to capture the output.

Looking it over briefly, I know it probably looks like a "horror show". Please let me know if you need anything add'l. Thanks!

R/
wbedard

Re: Finished: CALL FOR TESTERS Ralink wireless run(4) usb dr

Apologies if I post this in the wrong place, but since there was already a thread about testers for this chipset I thought this might be a good place. Also I'm rather new to freebsd FreeBSD so my terminology might not be 100% correct.

I got a D-Link DWA-140 Rev D1 and I think it's using RT5372. The USB ID is 3c20.

I've got 10.0-RC3 installed and this did not contain RT5372 but I noticed that it was committed here: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=rev ... ion=257955

I copied those files to /usr/src/ owerwriting the existing ones.

Then I added this to usbdevs:
Code:
product DLINK DWA140D1         0x3c20  DWA-140 rev D1
and this to if_run.c:
Code:
RUN_DEV(DLINK,             DWA140D1),
I compiled both runfw and if_run and loaded them with
kldload ./runfw.ko
kldload ./if_run.ko

This caused the following kernel messages:
Code:
ugen1.3: <Ralink> at usbus1
run0: <1.0> on usbus1
run0: MAC/BBP RT5392 (rev 0x0222), RF RT5372 (MIMO 2T2R), address d8:fe:e3:d7:ab:e5

Then running ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev run0 worked ok. Running ifconfig wlan0 up scan caused the kernel to print this
Code:
run0: firmware RT3071 ver. 0.236 loaded
But no wireless networks were displayed, the command just returned without any output whatsoever and subsequent calls to ifconfig wlan0 scan returns immediately with no output or kernel messages. So I got stuck here.

I know I'm mixing version 10 and what I assume is the current development head and that can't be ideal. I unfortunately don't have a machine to install -CURRENT on and I tried this just in case it would work.

If anyone want me to check anything else I can, if not I'll acquire another supported USB WiFi dongle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

wblock@ said:
Use ifconfig wlan0 up list scan.

Apologies for not coming back to this earlier. Unfortunately that didn't produce any output either.

I'm having troubles setting up a Linksys WUSB54GC v3 usb stick as an access point.

#wlandebug +scan +auth +assoc +debug
Code:
net.wlan.0.debug: 0x0 => 0x40e00000<debug,assoc,auth,scan>

I'm not sure how to check the firmware version of the stick or upgrade it if it needs to be.

Here is what I have so far:

#ifconfig
Code:
run0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
	ether 00:23:69:e4:52:48
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	ether 00:23:69:e4:52:48
	inet 172.16.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.0.255 
	inet6 fe80::223:69ff:fee4:5248%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5 
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
	ssid nsabsd channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g) bssid 00:23:69:e4:52:48
	country US authmode WPA privacy MIXED deftxkey 3 TKIP 2:128-bit
	TKIP 3:128-bit txpower 0 scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme dtimperiod 1
	-dfs

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
#Wireless
if_run_load="YES"
runfw_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
network_interfaces="re0"
sshd_enable="NO"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
static_routes="net1"
route_net1="-net 172.16.0.0/12 172.16.0.1"

#Wireless
gateway_enable="YES"
hostapd_enable="YES"
wlans_run0="wlan0"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 172.16.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid nsabsd mode 11g channel 1"

/etc/hostapd.conf
Code:
interface=wlan0
debug=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ssid=nsabsd
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=passphrase
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP

/etc/hosts
Code:
::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain
172.16.0.1              nsabsd

/etc/pf.conf
Code:
scrub in all
set skip on lo0
antispoof quick for lo0 inet
ext_if = "re0"
int_if = "wlan0"
localnet = "$int_if:network"
tcp_services = "{ ssh, smtp, domain, www, pop3, auth, pop3s }"
udp_services = "{ domain, ntp }"

# Keeping the inside IN and the outside OUT
NoRouteIPs = "{ 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/16, 10.0.0.0/8 }"

pass in on $int_if to any keep state
pass out on $int_if to any keep state
pass out on $ext_if from $int_if keep state

block in from no-route to any
block in  quick on $ext_if from $NoRouteIPs to any
block out quick on $ext_if from any to $NoRouteIPs

# Block all other incoming
block in log

# Allow all outgoing traffic
pass out keep state

# trying for udp / ntp
pass quick inet proto udp to any port $udp_services keep state

# Block blacklist
table <blacklist> persist file "/etc/blacklist"
block from <blacklist> to any

# Brute Force
table <bruteforce> persist
block quick from <bruteforce>
pass inet proto tcp from any to (re0) port $tcp_services \
    flags S/SA keep state \
    (max-src-conn 100, max-src-conn-rate 10/5, \
    overload <bruteforce> flush global)

# Enable ICMP for IPv4 IPv6
pass proto icmp all

# Nic Specific Rules
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto {tcp,udp} from any to any port 49152:65535 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 123 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 137 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 138 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 111 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 1110 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 2049 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 4045 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 5353 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to 224.0.0.251/32 port 5353 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 445 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 137 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 139 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 111 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 1110 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 4045 keep state
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 5353 keep state

Everything looks like it's up and running (as far as I can tell)... my phone detects the AP, attempts to sign in but the connection is not established. This is my first time dealing with WiFi so...

Any ideas, tips, pointers, critiques?

How is your phone configured (static IP, DHCP)?

Ok, not sure how to do that. I have tried many combinations of:

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
ifconfig_wlan0="mode 11g channel 1 ssid nsabsd bssid 00:23:69:e4:52:48 DHCP"
vs...
ifconfig_wlan0="mode 11g channel 1 ssid nsabsd DHCP"

with and without
/etc/rc.conf
Code:
static_routes="net1"
route_net1="192.168.0.0/24 192.168.0.1" #switched to 192***** from 172******

...and had no luck. When using the bssid with DHCP gnome's network tools devices shows a correct IPv6 but IPv4 of 0.0.0.0, transmitted and received packets increase but nothing else, hardware address n/a, multicast enabled, MTU n/a, link speed n/a, state active. The phone finds the AP nearly instantly Ideas?

Ok, got that. I installed bind910 and isc-dhcp43-server and followed instructions as directed in ports messages.
Now, I can access the AP and reach the net with identical ifconfig_run0 and ifconfig_wlan0 's in /etc/rc.conf but the dhcpd (for wlan0) messes up the DHCP of re0. Without the ifconfig_run0 it all works fine... except for re0 which gets totally borked then pf gets confused, calls me an idiot and refuses to load :/

Is there a way to bind wlan0 to run0 (or run0 to wlan0) without dhcpd messing up the DHCP for re0?

Correct me if I am wrong but run0 (a driver) should not be showing up in the ifconfig listings correct?

bryon said:
Correct me if I am wrong but run0 (a driver) should not be showing up in the ifconfig listings correct?

Yes it should show up in ifconfig(8) listing, the run0 interface gets cloned as wlan0 and all the configuration is then done on wlan0.

So why do I only get connected from wlan0 to re0 (to the net) when an ifconfig_run0 is set in /etc/rc.conf with identical info as the ifconfig_wlan0? The run0 device shows 0.0.0.0 as it's IP. The only time it had an IP (with ifconfig_run0 set) is the only time I was able to connect through the machine.

Code:
# Network config
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"

#Wireless
gateway_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1" #tried with and without
ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
ipv6_gateway_enable="YES"
ipv6_ipv4mapping="YES"
hostapd_enable="YES"
named_enable="YES"
named_auto_forward_only="YES"
dhcpd_enable="YES"

wlans_run0="wlan0"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid nsabsd mode 11g chan
#ifconfig_wlan0="mode 11g channel 1 ssid nsabsd bssid 00:23:69:e4:52:48"
#ifconfig_wlan0="mode 11g channel 1 ssid nsabsd DHCP"

network_interfaces="re0 wlan0"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
static_routes="lan_net wifi_net"
route_lan_net="192.168.0.0/8 192.168.0.1"
route_wifi_net="192.168.1.0/24 192.168.1.1"
routed_enable="YES"             # Set to YES to enable a routing daemon.
routed_program="/sbin/routed"   # Name of routing daemon to use if enabled.

netstat -r
Code:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            71-81-64-1.dhcp.st UGS         0     1231    re0
71.81.64.0/20      link#1             U           0        0    re0
71-81-68-64.dhcp.s link#1             UHS         0        0    lo0
localhost          link#3             UH          0        0    lo0
192.168.1.0        link#5             U           0       18  wlan0
nsabsd             link#5             UHS         0        0    lo0

/etc/pf.conf
Code:
ext_if = "re0"
int_if = " wlan0 run0 "
lan_net = "192.168.0.0/8"
wifi_net = "192.168.1.0/24"
nat on $ext_if from $wifi_net to any -> ($ext_if) #tried with from wifi_net and int_if

pass in inet proto icmp all icmp-type $icmp_types keep state
pass in on $ext_if proto {tcp, udp} to $wifi_net keep state #tried with from wifi_net and int_if
pass out on $ext_if proto {tcp, udp} from $wifi_net keep state #tried with from wifi_net and int_if

pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto {tcp,udp} from any to any port 49152:65
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 123 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 137 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 138 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 111 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 1110 keep st
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 2049 keep st
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 4045 keep st
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (re0) port 5353 keep st
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to 224.0.0.251/32 port 535
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 445 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 137 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 139 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 111 keep sta
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 1110 keep st
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 4045 keep st
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (re0) port 5353 keep st

pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 123 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 137 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 138 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 111 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 1110 keep
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 2049 keep
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 4045 keep
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto udp from any to (wlan0) port 5353 keep

pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 445 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 137 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 139 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 111 keep s
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 1110 keep
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 4045 keep
pass in quick on {$ext_if $int_if} proto tcp from any to (wlan0) port 5353 keep

I've even tried with /etc/pf.conf
Code:
pass in  quick all
pass out quick all

/etc/hostapd.conf
Code:
interface=wlan0
debug=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ssid=nsabsd
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=passphrase
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Code:
network={
          ssid="nsabsd"
          scan_ssid=1
          mode=1
          key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
          wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP
          psk="passphrase"
}

/usr/local/etc/namedb/named.conf
Code:
        include "/etc/namedb/auto_forward.conf";

/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf
Code:
ddns-update-style none;
always-broadcast on;
default-lease-time 7200;
max-lease-time 7200;
authoritative;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option domain-name "nsabsd";
option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

### WIRELESS NETWORK
###
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        # NOTE: See: wired->range.notes
        range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.199;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
}

/etc/hosts
Code:
192.168.1.1             nsabsd

Any ideas? After 36 full hours configuring and reconfiguring everything I can think of or find suggested here, in the handbook and across the net... I am stumped. I can connect/log-in to the AP fine and gnome's Devices > Network Tools shows packets sent/received / bytes sent/received going up web pages don't load, phone can not connect through the machine.

bind is not needed in your setup, your phone can use the name servers of your ISP.
wpa_supplicant is not needed in your setup, it is only used if you want your WLAN interface to connect to an existing access point with WPA/WPA2 security.
I have a working AP at home, I will post my configuration files later today.

Back