file version updates without other changes in new releases

What is the reason to update version string in /etc/* files without any other changes ?

It's very annoying when doing mergemaster after release upgrade.

zuborg said:
What is the reason to update version string in /etc/* files without any other changes ?

It's very annoying when doing mergemaster after release upgrade.

Yes... This is a side effect of the switch to SVN by the FreeBSD project. There is a new option -F in mergemaster, I guess that the goal is to deal with this issue.

That's why there's switches to mergemaster to automatically install files that only have version string changes. :) Check out the man page. (-U I believe is the one)

This is due to the way CVS works. When they branch the RELENG_7 tree to create RELENG_7_2, all the files get new version numbers, to reflect that they are part of the RELENG_7_2 branch and not the RELENG_7 branch.

Try the -U option to mergemaster. It will probably do the right thing for you (upgrade files that you haven't touched manually). Since I'm the one that wrote that support, I get a little excited seeing someone recommend it.

I always use mergemaster -Ui myself, though I fail to understand why it always overwrites my totally customised /etc/namedb/named.conf without a peep ;) (I run BIND from ports, and named.conf contains no version string whatsoever).

I'd rather go for 'no version string found, won't overwrite' ;) Which would be logical, as its clearly user-edited in some way.

Back