File Sharing

Hello,

I always had this problem, and need some hint.

I have a Mac and FreeBSD at work. I always imported files from the Mac, but I can't access to the FreeBSD from the Finder. It ask me name and password, accept it, then "connection failed".
I have Samba and AFP with Avahi. Tried both, same result.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What about using ssh? The Mac has a terminal and ssh client. If Samba is set up properly on the FreeBSD box, it should work, but I haven't done that in years. Doesn't the Mac have an option, with its connect to server thing, to connect through ssh? (DISCLAIMER---going from long ago memory here, the only sharing I do with a Mac is an NFS share on a CentOS box at home.)

Hello,

i always had this problem, and need some hint.

I have a Mac and FreeBSD at work. I always imported files from the Mac, but i can't access to the FreeBSD from the Finder. It ask me name and password, accept it, then "connection failed".
I have Samba and AFP with Avahi. Tried both, same result.

Thanks

I have a question... how does your firewall rules look like? have you opened up the right ports (I can't remember the port numbers now, but a quick google should help with that one)?

Isn't NFS an option anymore? That used to work fine with OS X 10.4. How good/bad is NFS support on macOS these days?

Isn't NFS an option anymore? That used to work fine with OS X 10.4. How good/bad is NFS support on macOS these days?

It should work even in finder if you do CMD-K and type nfs://server/share as the URL, haven't tried it in a long time though on my mac.

It should work even in finder if you do CMD-K and type nfs://server/share as the URL, haven't tried it in a long time though on my mac.

Just wondering if you got this to work. I'm having mounting issues on my LAN on two MacOS boxes.

Back