few questions

Hello

I have a few questions:

I did a fresh install of 8.2 and did choose the option all in sysinstall because I wanted kde working. Well after the installation I got no startx or startkde so I did a install of Xorg but after a while that gave me a error too. I can`t remember the error but it had something to do with error code 1. I looked some things up in the forum and decided to do portmanager -u to upgrade all installed ports. This process takes forever!

Can I do a reboot of the system and when logged in give the command portmanager -u again? Will it resume where it has stopped or will it begin afresh?

I am asking this since this system is a dual boot with my daily linux OS and have to read my mail and so on.

If you want to automatically start X after FreeBSD boot add this line to your /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
kdm_enable="YES"

Secondly, reinstall your system to be WITHOUT X.org and KDE after instalation. And do this as root after installation.

Code:
pkg_add -rv xorg && pkg_add -rv kde4

And, add KDM to your /etc/rc.conf

And, FreeBSD 8.2 will need add something new lines to /etc/rc.conf to do your keyboard and mouse work properly under X.org

Insert it before KDM line.

Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Or, if you want to start KDE after [CMD=""]startx[/CMD] command, do it.

Code:
echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc

j4r3ck said:
Secondly, reinstall your system to be WITHOUT X.org and KDE after instalation. And do this as root after installation.

What is the best procedure to install X.org and KDE after a fresh install?

Back