Feedback on "Formatting: The Short Form"

I've read viewtopic.php?f=49&t=45189 and think it's a good idea to have this short guide around, as some people don't feel like reading long posts. Good! However, I also feel an urge to nitpick a little, and also to point out a confusing inconsistency.

The example for how to do multi-line commands with [np]
Code:
[/np] blocks has some extra indention on every line but the first line. ;)

Then there's this example (the bold is mine)
[quote]Use capitalization and punctuation.
I only press [b]Enter[/b] at the end of a paragraph.
My [b]shift[/b] key is not broken, and I use it.
FreeBSD is not the same as Linux.[/quote]
"Enter" is written with an upper-case "E", while "shift" is written with a lower-case "s". What makes "Enter" special? Or is it a typo?

Looking at it now, I have no idea why that indentation was present in the
Code:
 example.  Fixed.

Shift... well, to me, that is just a type of key, not a name.  On some keyboards, there are no labels on those keys.  But I see the point, and it improves the example, so fixed.

Thanks!

To be honest, I think they're both just a type of key; and was thinking along the lines that they should both use lower-case. :)
Thanks for the quick response, though.

Savagedlight said:
To be honest, I think they're both just a type of key; and was thinking along the lines that they should both use lower-case. :)
At least for ENTER it's common to see it capitalized when referring to the ENTER key. You'll also find a lot of [ENTER] or <ENTER> but those may pose problems with BBCode. Personally, I don't think it matters much, as long as it's consistent.

All of the seven keyboards I have within easy reach calls that key Enter. I suspect Return was more of a typewriter thing. It makes a bit of sense to call it that on a computer keyboard, because it does more than just returning the cursor to the left.

For me, the extra visual noise has issues. But it probably is not a big issue. We rarely see people talk about pressing specific keys, and it may just be a bad example in that article.

I'll have to agree with @DutchDaemon here; and I have no idea why I didn't suggest it earlier, as I usually use [Ctrl] + [Alt] + when talking about key combos.

wblock@ said:
For me, the extra visual noise has issues. But it probably is not a big issue. We rarely see people talk about pressing specific keys, and it may just be a bad example in that article.
It may be a bad example for that article, but I also liked the point it made about capitalization in general. Although some may think it's a bit condescending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back