fcitx5 broken - Can someone help me troubleshoot?

fcitx5 is an asian language input package.
I ran pkg upgrade the other night and now fcitx5 doesn't seem to run anymore.

generally when fcitx5 is ran, it usually just loads up a bunch of addons
however, after the package upgrade, this last line appeared - indicating some sort of error:
Code:
I2024-04-18 17:17:16.140076 kimpanel.cpp:112] Kimpanel new owner:
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libleveldb.so.1: Undefined symbol "_ZN6snappy11RawCompressEPKcmPcPm"

I'm assuming it's the leveldb library from the leveldb package
'pkg info -r leveldb' revealed that it is required by the 'zh-librime' package which is required by my installed 'zh-fcitx5-rime' package for fcitx5

However, i checked on freshports.org and this package is listed as 'Last Update: 2022-10-03 17:10:15'
and my fcitx5, zh-fcitx5-rime, zh-librime were all installed on March 20th and all were working perfectly fine until last night.
but they dont seem to be the packages that were recently upgraded, so now i'm not so sure what really is causing fcitx5 to malfunctioning.

Is there a command or file that shows the most recently upgraded packages?

Thanks in advance.

I2024-04-18 17:17:16.140076 kimpanel.cpp:112] Kimpanel new owner:
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libleveldb.so.1: Undefined symbol "_ZN6snappy11RawCompressEPKcmPcPm"

perhaps the package 'snappy' is responsible?
Installed on Wed Apr 17 11:41:47 2024 (date sounds about right)

'pkg info -d leveldb' shows it as its dependency.

I think I got the same error yesterday after a package upgrade (FreeeBSD-14.0, latest repo). The difference is that this is Chromium which doesn't work anymore (don't have fcitx5 installed). I had no time to investigate the thing, so I rebooted on a BE I made just before. I will examine that tonight if I have more time.

I don't use Kimpanel to configure I just manually edit .config/fcitx5/profile. I don't use fcitx5 too much, so I just manually start i if I do need Japanese. At any rate, while I get a message that Kimpanel has a new owner, fcitx5 with anthy, is working fine for me with dwm. I haven't tried with other desktops (or other input methods, e.g. Korean or Chinese).

As for packages, if you've not been keeping track, sometimes
grep install /var/log/messages will let you know what you installed or updated recently. For older stuff you can do zcat /var/log/messages.0.bz2 |grep install (or whatever bz2 of messages seems to be a likely time.)

So, yes, it's well snappy the problem. It had an update from 1.1.10 to 1.2.0. I think that some softwares which depend on snappy have not been updated. Chromium isn't even in the latest repo for now... And its dependence to snappy is recent. :mad:

I searched in my machines in /var/cache/pkg/ to find the snappy-1.1.10.pkg, but in vain. I would have liked to reinstall it.

So, I think you will have to wait the moment when your software will be updated according to the new version of snappy.

I don't use Kimpanel to configure I just manually edit .config/fcitx5/profile. I don't use fcitx5 too much, so I just manually start i if I do need Japanese. At any rate, while I get a message that Kimpanel has a new owner, fcitx5 with anthy, is working fine for me with dwm. I haven't tried with other desktops (or other input methods, e.g. Korean or Chinese).

As for packages, if you've not been keeping track, sometimes
grep install /var/log/messages will let you know what you installed or updated recently. For older stuff you can do zcat /var/log/messages.0.bz2 |grep install (or whatever bz2 of messages seems to be a likely time.)

Thank you!
I'm new to FreeBSD. Thanks for the tip!

So, yes, it's well snappy the problem. It had an update from 1.1.10 to 1.2.0. I think that some softwares which depend on snappy have not been updated. Chromium isn't even in the latest repo for now... And its dependence to snappy is recent. :mad:

I searched in my machines in /var/cache/pkg/ to find the snappy-1.1.10.pkg, but in vain. I would have liked to reinstall it.

So, I think you will have to wait the moment when your software will be updated according to the new version of snappy.

Thanks for your confirmation! ;)

In fact, if I well understood the underlying problem, thank to yjqg6666, it's snappy that needs to be updated. For the moment, the corrected version didn't land in the latest repo. Last time something similar happened (it was polkit, not so long ago), it took several weeks the mended version to reach the latest repo.

These incidents seem more and more frequent... To me, the only real problem is the time for the latest repo to get the corrected software. I'm thinking to return to the quarterly repository if these troubles continue.

Last edited:
I think that some softwares which depend on snappy have not been updated.

We have a similar report in social media. Discussed briefly in IRC. Reported in Bugzilla 28th April, same-day fix committed to latest and quarterly.

Please be patient for packages to be built and served by the FreeBSD Project. Alternatively, try forced reinstallation of the affected package.

For the moment, I locked snappy in its last version before the problematic one. So I can upgrade all my packages without trouble. But, I find that the time is really long...

Emrion please, did you (also) try a forced reinstallation?

Not of Chromium, or Snappy. Of the package mentioned in my other message.

Thanks

I didn't do a forced reinstallation of the package that was giving me problem, but I deleted it and installed it again manually and now my fcitx5 works now.

My fcitx5 was having issue. zh-fcitx5-rime is one of the many input methods for fcitx5, which has zh-librime as a dependency, and that subsequently has leveldb as a dependency .... and that has snappy as a dependency.

snappy -> leveldb -> zh-librime -> zh-fcitx5-rime -> fcitx5

how did it start working again though? i've been running pkg update and pkg upgrade very frequently hoping they would get updated and fixed but none of these packages were upgraded though.

Back