Solved FB13: Error executing cron job for standard user

Hi,
I upgrade my main machine to FreeBSD 13.0 using freebsd-update(8) a week ago.
Everything is fine except all cron jobs for my standard user no longer work. I get the following message in /var/log/cron for each job:

Code:
Apr 20 16:42:00 unxbox /usr/sbin/cron[55492]: in try_dlopen(): /usr/lib/pam_opie.so.6: /usr/lib/libopie.so.8: Undefined symbol "srand@FBSD_1.6"
Apr 20 16:42:00 unxbox /usr/sbin/cron[55492]: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_opie.so found
Apr 20 16:42:00 unxbox /usr/sbin/cron[55492]: (CRON) error (can't start PAM)
Looks strange to me since srand is part of libc
Code:
$ sudo ldd /usr/lib/libopie.so.8
/usr/lib/libopie.so.8:
    libmd.so.6 => /lib/libmd.so.6 (0x800680000)
    libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x800263000)
$ file /usr/lib/libopie.so.8
/usr/lib/libopie.so.8: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, for FreeBSD 13.0 (1300139), stripped

Any idea would be appreciate.
Regards

It might help to post the output from freebsd-version -ruk and also mention which version of FreeBSD you upgraded from?

It might help to post the output from freebsd-version -ruk and also mention which version of FreeBSD you upgraded from?
Thanks for your reply

Code:
$ freebsd-version -ruk
13.0-RELEASE
13.0-RELEASE
13.0-RELEASE

Previous version was 12.2 with latest update

I restarted freebsd-update install a third time with a reboot and everything is fine. I suspect there was a disconnection (SSH) during the update.

Thanks for the support and sorry for the buzz.

I just had the same error and it seems like after the third freebsd-update install a service cron restart is also needed to make the error stop happening.

Though I expect a reboot is probably a good idea just to make sure all the startup processes (like init) are running the right versions since I expect the first freebsd-update install and initial boot to new kernel still has some of the startup from the previous userland version.

Can confirm. Reboot was the missing piece.

Before rebooting I checked if a freebsd-update install would do any good, but nothing was left to be done.
It was just the reboot ;-)

It even fixed a strange behavior I had, that I was unable to ssh into my gitlab machine from the server. Just as a little side note. ssh -vv ... showed no error, neither on client nor server side.

Back