fastest & lightest window-manager ?

argv little bit of advice... use paragraphs next time ;)

A huge block of text kills the readability even if the post is interesting (I got lost half away through).

Yeah and I agree... changing the slightest thing in config.h is a pain: edit config.h -> uninstall -> reinstall port -> restart X.

tangram said:
changing the slightest thing in config.h is a pain: edit config.h -> uninstall -> reinstall port -> restart X.

yeah, thats the thing with dwm, xmonad etc., where one needs to compile after a slight change in the config.

But if you have had experience with dwm before, and know the inner workings and want to use a config say from another system you can always copy the config anywhere and use the DWM_CONF knob to point to your own config instead of the default, say when you are installing even the first time.

Something like this

Code:
make DWM_CONF=/path/to/your/config.h install clean

tangram said:
changing the slightest thing in config.h is a pain: edit config.h -> uninstall -> reinstall port -> restart X.

No need to restart X.

I don't use the ports version of dwm but instead if I want an update I grab it using hg. Once tweaked, there's very little to change except for the odd new keybinding.... which reminds me I need one of those.

My .xinitrc ends with something like the following:

Code:
while true
do
    # default dwm status bar sh script (not using)
    # $HOME/.dwm/status | dwm >$HOME/dwm.err 2>&1 & DISPLAY=:0.1 dwm
    # but am using my own and slightly more interesting python version...
    cleanup_dwmstatus
    # this is my default dwm, two screens
    # $HOME/.dwm/dwmstatus | DISPLAY=:0.1 dwm >$HOME/dwm.err 2>&1 & DISPLAY=:0.0 dwm
    # one screen only...
    $HOME/.dwm/dwmstatus | dwm >$HOME/dwm.err 
    # something even simpler if testing or status script broken
    #dwm >$HOME/dwm.err 
done

Quit the currently running dwm and it'll start up again. Your open windows will be in vdesktop 1 (or whatever your first one is labelled), with the exception of any which had rules - they will be "moved" per the rules.

My workflow is vim /path/to/src/config.h and I run make install from within vim... quick dwm, et voila. I dare say I can make changes in dwm as fast as in say fluxbox.

ps, if I feel like testing another WM I have a line above "done" which calls upon a script called "testwm"; that way I can edit the contents of the script, make chances, put nothing but a comment in there - whatever - but still have a working dwm / shells etc at my disposal if the wm I happen to be looking at fails to work or impress.

mwatkins said:
No need to restart X.
I don't use the ports version of dwm but instead if I want an update I grab it using hg. Once tweaked, there's very little to change except for the odd new keybinding.... which reminds me I need one of those.

I had been thinking something along those lines, but was totally lazy. this is going to be very helpful. thanks

I assumed you had to restart X, but thinking again it's just a window manager and those can be reloaded at will ::doh::

Can you post your cleanup_dwmstatus and dwmstatus?

argv said:
registration == membership?

You're listed as 'Just Registered'. It's a "trial period".

You'll have editing privileges after 10 posts && 10 days of membership.

Status bar app for `dwm`

tangram: Here's the function in my .xinitrc; just a little cleanup of my status app. dwm used to take redirection from stdin - perhaps it still does but at one major upgrade I did, that seemed to stop working to I rejigged my status bar app to use X and set the bar that way instead.

Code:
cleanup_dwmstatus() {
    if [ -f $HOME/.dwm/.dwmstatus.pid ]; then
        /bin/kill -s INT `cat $HOME/.dwm/.dwmstatus.pid`
        rm $HOME/.dwm/.dwmstatus.pid
    fi
}

dwmstatus itself produces output like this:

Code:
Like Suicide - Soundgarden, Superunknown [::::::    ]  [0.00 0.05 0.01]  12:09 PM Wednesday August 09

The attached file is Python; it should run on any version of Python < 3.x provided the X libraries are available. Links to those are available; you don't need to be running mpd.

I realize that one could do most of what this app does with a shell script, indeed I ran one for some time, but it hurt my head to think of creating a "volume bar" in a shell script. I also originally intended to plug in a multiple server monitoring piece but promptly forgot about it... until this thread. Coming soon.

Attachments

• dwmstatus.py.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 270
argv, get familiar with
The
Enter_Key.jpg

key

xclip is handy for stuff
/some/program | xclip #puts it in the buffer
cat file.txt | xclip #puts the file in the buffer
xclip -o # outputs buffer to terminal
xclip -o | program...
then if you are in, say, webmail and want to
paste the file or results of the command you
can use both of two mouse buttons simultaneously
Hope that is all 100 percent accurate

Using AwesomeWM on my desktop- Might try pekwm, seems quite a few people use it here.

Awesome has been pretty decent, now that I've gotten used to tiling.

I'm currently using musca, another one of the tiled window managers. It's a lot like dwm, but you can use ~/.musca_start to reconfig most settings, instead of recompiling.

Musca comes preconfigured to use dmenu.

Unlike awesome, wmii and dwm, it doesn't do the tiled layout automatically. Instead, the user creates and resizes the tiles manually.

OTOH, musca is not as scriptable as awesome. That may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

Anyone looking for a tiled window manager that fits somewhere between dwm and awesome on the scales of simplicity and size might want to give musca a try.

I´m new here.
Just to say that I´m trying Gnome, XFCE4,KDE3, KDE4, most of the ´light´ window managers etc...etc... Fluxbox is the best manager I found.
I have nothing but the problems with KDE or GNOME, thought those are desktops only. I prefer KEEP IT SIMPLE, like unix do.
Fluxbox have really simple etc. menu configuration (vs like Gnome, which have compilicated Alacarte<-- buggy shit program)
In *nix You have to do it simple by own hands :)

ThatÅ› all for now.

btw. If you have 16gig mem, 1Tb Hd and lots of time, take of look KDE4.
below that is too slooooow.

DutchDaemon said:
You're listed as 'Just Registered'. It's a "trial period".

You'll have editing privileges after 10 posts && 10 days of membership.

Don't you ever get tired of answering these questions?

dwm.Is really fast and ~2000 lines of C code.Have no dependecies.Is simple a source code.You open the config.h file,make colors changes etc and compile the source.And that's it :)

I definitely prefer scrotwm over dwm. It is easier to configure (simple configuration file VS compilation) and I find the result more pleasant.

Of course, that is a matter of taste. :)

Hmm,

does anyone know of a window manager that only allows one window per desktop?

I.e imagine dwm, but when I launch firefox on the original fullscreen xterm, it doesnt open it up tiled with xterm, but instead moves it automatically to desktop 2?

I am doing some opengl development and I am not keen on tiling, it moves all the text around in vim as it is resized and kinda gets on my nerves :p

If there is no such thing, is it possible with dwm to launch (e.g another xterm) and specify the dekstop it appears on?

Thanks

you can configure fvwm to do that

another thing of fvwm that you will probably like is FvwmRearange module, that (when called) dynamically rearranges windows on the current desk, so that not window is covered by other (I used it A LOT)

whilst fvwm can pretty much do everything, I would rather even navigate through a .h file rather than get involved in fvwm configuration :p

kpedersen said:
whilst fvwm can pretty much do everything, I would rather even navigate through a .h file rather than get involved in fvwm configuration :p

fvwm config is easy, once you've read it's manual :D

i think this would do what you want
Code:
DestroyFunc StartAppOnNewDesk
AddToFunc StartAppOnNewDesk
+ I Next (currentdesk) nop
+ I TestRc (Match) GotoDesk  1 0 0 [color="Red"]10[/color]
+ I Exec exec $*

now to start app you will have to use
Code:
Funciton StartAppOnNewDesk xterm
for example

Red 10, assumes you have 10 Virtual Desks, this is not bulletproof implementation, as I only wrote it to show how simple things are

Back