fastest & lightest window-manager ?

kpedersen said:
I am doing some opengl development and I am not keen on tiling, it moves all the text around in vim as it is resized and kinda gets on my nerves :p

In scrotwm (for instance), you can say in the configuration file that some applications (typically mplayer) should not be tiled. This is not what you asked for, but maybe it will reconcile you with tiling WM.

Hmm that has given me an idea of trying to set everything to open in monocle mode by default. Although it isn't 100% what I want, it will stop the tiling at least.

In dwm I think it is as easy as swapping entries in layouts[].

kpedersen said:
I.e imagine dwm, but when I launch firefox on the original fullscreen xterm, it doesnt open it up tiled with xterm, but instead moves it automatically to desktop 2?

dwm can do this, that is default functionality. Check config.h and look at the section where Rules is defined.

Code:
static Rule rules[] = {
        /* class      instance    title       tags mask     isfloating */
        { "Gimp",     NULL,       NULL,       0,            True },
        { "Gvim",     NULL,       NULL,       2,            False },
        { "Firefox",  NULL,       NULL,       3,            False },
/* ... */
};

In this example gvim opens full screen in desktop 3, Firefox in desktop 4. Gimp opens wherever and in floating mode.

Yes, I did have a play.

However I wanted to avert the need for setting up every application I may want to run specifically.

Instead by moving the monocle entry in layouts to the top of the definition, it set monocle as default.

It works pretty well although since xterm doesnt maximize 100% (small gaps around edges) I can sometimes see a window behind it. This isn't really a problem for usability howerver :p

DWM is great. However, How can I patch DWM when using ports? Because I need Xft to support Chinese fonts.

Sincerely!

throAU said:
I'm partial to wm2 / wmx myself.
wm2 / wmx should be heavier than DWM.
Code:
PIPID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
11088 sw2wolf       1  20    0 10992K   [color="Red"]988K[/color] select  0   0:01  0.00% dwm

Regards!

Haven't used it in a while, but i believe the executable was about 60k last time I did. How much it actually allocated once running I have no idea.

vermaden said:
@sw2wolf

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwm
# make extract
# cd work/dwm-X.Y
# patch ...

extract only extracts the source. patch will extract and then apply any existing port patches. Then do any custom patching needed. Otherwise, the custom patches might prevent port patches from applying, and it won't build.

sw2wolf said:
DWM is great. However, How can I patch DWM when using ports? Because I need Xft to support Chinese fonts.

x11-wm/dwm is so small, why not just keep a clone of the project's Mercurial repository? I have a few of my own patches applied to it and prefer to manage dwm with hg, outside of the ports system.

You'll need to edit config.mk to change two paths: X11INC and X11LIB, if you are running recent FreeBSD, to /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib respectively.

mwatkins said:
x11-wm/dwm is so small, why not just keep a clone of the project's Mercurial repository? I have a few of my own patches applied to it and prefer to manage dwm with hg, outside of the ports system.

You'll need to edit config.mk to change two paths: X11INC and X11LIB, if you are running recent FreeBSD, to /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib respectively.
Good suggestion, thanks!

Back