Fan of Diablo I? DevilutionX almost working on FreeBSD

I just bought Diablo 1 from GoG and it doesn't play in wine at all so I have the game content. I'd be willing to test once it gets in ports, or before, I just need to figure out what I need to do.

I just bought Diablo 1 from GoG and it doesn't play in wine at all so I have the game content. I'd be willing to test once it gets in ports, or before, I just need to figure out what I need to do.
You can just apply the patch to your ports tree, or download an entire up to date ports tree from my GitHub.
The patch can be found in PR 237997.
To apply it (in the root of the ports dir):
cd /usr/ports/ (or wherever your ports tree is)
patch -p1 < patchfile
Then just make install as usual
cd games/devilutionX && make install && make clean

Or if you have poudriere set up the same applies with poudriere bulk ... instead of building the port manually and subsequently installing the created package.

OK - I have a poudriere build box so will need to set up there. Might be a few days but will report back when I get things working.

Yesterday the port was committed to the official (latest) ports repository: games/devilutionX. Feel free to check it out from there now.
I checked and it hasn't gone through a package build cycle yet, so if you'd prefer to use a package you'll have to wait a bit longer.

I'm guessing that's required by any of the dependencies? It shouldn't be required directly by the port.

Note: using CCache with poudriere speeds up builds massively once it's filled, as long as you can dedicate several dozens of gigabytes for it (preferably on an SSD)
Note2: if you have a lot of RAM, consider setting USE_TMPFS=all in poudriere.conf and turning down the amount of builders (-J option to poudriere bulk)
Note3: ZFS is useful as well, especially if you can't use note 2

Probably a dependency. The actual packages built was 45, but that may be dependent on the state of my system - what I have installed, last time I ran a build, etc. I am quite familiar with poudriere and have both ccache and zfs set up. :) Speeding up Pourdriere Build Times

Just down to gcc8 and the devilutionX port itself so shouldn't be too much longer.

So, build and install successful, I am reading your GitHub page - where exactly is the devilutionx directory? Is there a default config that I need to copy?

Probably not my GitHub page (or at least not one I wrote) :) I didn't write this software, I just made a port Makefile for it.
Did you get the post-install message (pkg-message)? It should have told you:
Copy DIABDAT.MPQ to ~/.local/share/diasurgical/devilution/diabdat.mpq
Pay attention to the case, the resulting file needs to be entirely lowercase!
You'll have to create that directory in order to run it.

Disregard - fresh ports page instructions got me going. Awesome! Thank you. Wish I could get it running at better than 640x480, but that was it back in the day :)

Actually, the directory was created for me when I ran the app first time - had to kill the pid though because no data file in that directory. Once I put the data file in that directory, it ran fine.

So much fun, plays great! I had forgotten that unlike Diablo II, you can't run. No worries, brings back memories. Funny that a game 23 year old game can still be fun.

I think the people developing the open source version have it somewhere on their roadmap to add higher resolutions or at least a 16/9 option or something like that.

It is likely meant to be slow.

Have you tried Dune 2 for Unix?
You need a supercomputer today to run it, what was running on a 386DX.

Excellent job! Diablo is running on FreeBSD - cool

However, I found out small bug in it.

Dedicated folder in home where MPQ data file is saved is recognized properly when running the game (this seems to have correct path string returned to the program).

Everthing starts fine but...
... starting new game, requires save game file creation in that folder and in my case game is not working because...
user name is changed to lower cases in the path string. That means target folder does not exists, save file cannot be created and message about 10MB free disk space is displayed - Diablo is stopped

Code:
DUMMY: CreateFileA : file: /home/isiek/.local/share/diasurgical/devilution\single_0.sv (/home/isiek/.local/share/diasurgical/devilution/single_0.sv)
whereas my login is iSiek not isiek

$ pwd
/home/iSiek

No permissions issue, tried this first for troubleshooting but when I create symbolic link to my existing home folder with /home/isiek (returned string from DevilutionX) everything is working fine!

As I am not a programmer can you fix that in code and release new package, please :)
Maybe you will save more people whose logins are not lowercase ones.

Thank you in advance and regards,
Krzysztof

As I am not a programmer can you fix that in code and release new package, please :)
Could you report this on the project's GitHub? I only maintain the port, I'm not directly involved with the project.
Since this issue would also come up on Linux, it would be very useful to the project to fix it.

Edit: you already use my temporary fix :)

Could you report this on the project's GitHub? I only maintain the port, I'm not directly involved with the project.

Ah ok, I did not know that :)
Sure, I have raised bug at FreeBSD 64bit DevilutionX start game error #126
I hope this would be simply fixed.

In the meantime I have found out another bug (FreeBSD 12 64bit version)
Before I will post it there is someone able to verify if this is reproducible in other systems too?

1) When I drop an item from my belt, I cannot put it back
2) When I want to swap items on belt or in items menu, they are replaced by holding item :D (you can imagine my face when I wanted to reorganize my gold piles with health/mana potions :D) All gold piles were replaced by potions :|

Thank you in advance for your feedback on this matter.

Regards,
Krzysztof

1) When I drop an item from my belt, I cannot put it back
2) When I want to swap items on belt or in items menu, they are replaced by holding item :D (you can imagine my face when I wanted to reorganize my gold piles with health/mana potions :D) All gold piles were replaced by potions :|
I was hoping someone else would chime in, because I only have 12.0 on amd64 as well. I do have a few broken laptops that I intend to fix and install a i386 on, but I haven't gotten around to that yet (for years ... :p).
Since 64-bit is highly experimental, it's difficult to say if this is an actual game bug (although it definitely would be a bug with 64-bit systems). I don't think it's FreeBSD-specific though, so it might still be a good idea to post it on GitHub.

OK, I have a confirmation that bug with lower case path has been fixed and now there is no issue when launching new game.
Could you adjust FreeBSD port and release new package, please?

Regards,
Krzysztof

Back