Extension Gnome

Hi everybody. I have problems installing gnome extensions. On the extensions.gnome.org site I have installed an extension, but it does not appear in gnome extensions. I use FreeBSD 14 and Gnome-42.4

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_101531_026.jpg
    IMG_20240213_101531_026.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 59
I installed GNOME to test the problem, i am seeing the purple warning too. Installed chrome-gnome-shell and the firefox addon then i tried installing dash to dock extension and it installed successfully and does appear in extensions app. Do you have dbus enabled because gnome extensions may rely on it. I have dbus enabled and I didn't have any issue with extensions.

Attachments

• 1707842766592.png
    1707842766592.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 46
I installed GNOME to test the problem, i am seeing the purple warning too. Installed chrome-gnome-shell and the firefox addon then i tried installing dash to dock extension and it installed successfully and does appear in extensions app. Do you have dbus enabled because gnome extensions may rely on it. I have dbus enabled and I didn't have any issue with extensions.

Finally the problem was solved. I added the extension manually from the extension.zip file. Thank you for the help. 🙏

I wonder why it doesn't work for you but works for me.
That's what makes me confused, the dbus service is activated but the extension is not automatically in the app extension. Are there any settings missing/wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-02-15 09-05-24.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-15 09-05-24.png
    17 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot from 2024-02-15 09-06-24.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-15 09-06-24.png
    48 KB · Views: 41
Off-Topic but in your configuration file there is hald_enabled which is long removed.
Yes sir. So I once messed up the rc.conf file due to an error writing hald_enable="YES' so the machine crashed and gave the message Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh.
Then I can repair the rc.conf file. Is that the cause?

Yes sir. So I once messed up the rc.conf file due to an error writing hald_enable="YES' so the machine crashed and gave the message Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh.
Then I can repair the rc.conf file. Is that the cause?
My machine crashed once too when I was on gnome.

Only one display manager can be active.

True but if a person wants to play, or in my case show off window managers for those who think a window manager is the O/S, I use Xnest to log into my xdm and select alternate window managers and environments to show off FreeBSD(1). Some people love CDE on my desktop while others feel it's dated, the reason why I use Xnest and have additional windowing environments installed on my laptop.

So yes, you can install multiple windowing environments and play with them under Xnest while using your primary windowing environment. Or to show it off to people who ask about FreeBSD.

(1) Showing off FreeBSD is an advocacy thing I do to promote FreeBSD at OpenHack here.

True but if a person wants to play, or in my case show off window managers for those who think a window manager is the O/S, I use Xnest to log into my xdm and select alternate window managers and environments to show off FreeBSD(1). Some people love CDE on my desktop while others feel it's dated, the reason why I use Xnest and have additional windowing environments installed on my laptop.
Oh, there are certainly ways to have multiple, but for new users it's much better to keep things simple. They can try all this when they're a bit more experienced and actually understand what each component does and how it all fits together. When you're new to this "world" it's already overwhelming enough.

Back