Xfce Exit XFCE4 to command prompt

I have FreeBSD 12.0-Release installed on my pc. I also have Slim and XFCE4 installed. I want to be able to completely quit XFCE4 and go to a command prompt. XFCE4 does not give an option to quit XFCE4 and exit to command prompt. I would prefer to have FreeBSD boot to command prompt only first and then type "startxfce4". But so far I have not been successful in getting everything configured properly. --Orv

Fix your ~/.xinitrc and use startx to start XFCE. Also remove the slim_enable from rc.conf.

My ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
[ -f "${HOME}/.Xresources" ] && xrdb "${HOME}/.Xresources"

# This is for SLiM:
[ -n "$1" ] && [ -x "$1" ] && exec $1

# This is for startx ($1 won't be set)
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startxfce4

Thanks for the help! I followed your instructions and now my pc boots to command prompt just like I wanted.
After I type "startx" I see the Slim wallpaper flash for a split second and then XFCE4 launches.
I commented out slim_enable in rc.conf

Fix your ~/.xinitrc and use startx to start XFCE. Also remove the slim_enable from rc.conf.

My ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
[ -f "${HOME}/.Xresources" ] && xrdb "${HOME}/.Xresources"

# This is for SLiM:
[ -n "$1" ] && [ -x "$1" ] && exec $1

# This is for startx ($1 won't be set)
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startxfce4
I use exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 --with-ck-launch in .xinitrc
I was under the impression that xfce does not need dbus. I don’t use it in rc.conf and xfce runs just fine. Or is this info specific too using slim?

Xfce4 does require dbus to generate a Machine-ID. You only need to run it once. service dbus onestart

For the Xfce4 logoff menu to work you do indeed need dbus running.

Also calling up ck-launch is not needed. Take a look at the script you are running /usr/local/bin/startxfce4
It runs ck-launch for you.
ck-launch is typically only needed on window managers like OpenBox and FluxBox.

Xfce4 provides the xfce4-session-logout command. If you pass it --logout and assign that command to a key combination like "ctrl+alt+del", or whatever you choose, it will end the xfce4 session and drop you straight to a command line. Is this what you were looking for?

do you got this in your rc.conf?

dbus_enable="YES"

then just 'startxfce4' in .xinitrc might ought'a work for you...

Back