error: trying to mount root from ufs :/dev/aacd0s1a

[ cont'd from http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=21805 - Mod. ]

Hi, something went wrong after rebooting my machine. During the boot load up, the system states
Code:
trying to mount root from ufs :/dev/aacd0s1a
and stops there. I rebooted using the Freesbie, knoppix like boot disk to troubleshoot. I am able to manually mount the aacd0s1a partition.

I look at the fstab config, crossed reference the names of the partitions with what's in the /dev directory and they all match. Everything looks correct... I really don't understand why this is not working. Any suggestions?

Here is a more detailed description of the error message I receive when I try boot my box:

Code:
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ppc0: parallel port not found.
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x10 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags-0x300>
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
ipfw2 (+ipv6) initialized, divert loadable, rule-based forwarding disabled, default to deny, logging unlimited
acd0: CDROM <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124/N102> at ata0-master UDMA33
aacd0: <RAID 5> on aac0
aacd0: 69425MB (142182912 sectors)
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/aacd0s1a

Any suggestions?

No I get the same error whenever I tried to boot into single user mode. I do have a Freesbie cd, and I'm able to boot off of that and manually mount the /dev/aacd0s1a partition.

You should revert your modifications and disable security feature in your /etc/rc.conf file. It will let you reboot in normal user.

Hey Kisscool-fr, thanks for your assistance.

The only change made was a Portsnap extract... other then that the kernel security was removed from the rc.conf file and I got this error message stated above after I rebooted the box. There are important files on this machine, this is such a headache.

Are there any other suggestions?

I'm not sure kisscool-fr, I guess for security reasons... I know that's not the cause of this problem.

Does anyone have any sugguestions on how to resolve this problem?

I tried that already, but its not the kernel security that's causing this problem. Something else corrupts the boot scripts and I don't know where besides fstab to correct this issue.

Back