Solved Error 22 installing to NVMe SSD

I have a Ryzen 3600 and Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard with a Western Digital SN750 NVMe SSD I'm trying to install FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE to. I've tried both UEFI and non-UEFI installs and I would get passed the boot loader, but I eventually get to the <mountroot> prompt with error 22. I tried installing Ubuntu 18.04 on the NVMe drive to see if maybe I screwed something up, but Ubuntu works flawlessly on it. I also tried powerd on and off to see if that helped and lastly setting

Code:
nvme_load="YES"
nvd_load="YES"

In the `/boot/loader.conf` file post-installation. Nothing has worked. Is this an unsupported configuration?

I looked a lot and found someone referencing what seemed to be a different error to me at first (forum post here Thread 70329)

Turns out they're one in the same. There was still an old label present on my other SSD that needed to be wiped. Which means I get to install FreeBSD and reinstall Linux tonight :)

I ran `zdb -l <device>` on my drives until I found the one with the unwanted label, then I had to run `zpool labelclear -f <device>` ...maybe there's a better way to remove the label without obliterating the info on the disk to make THAT one unbootable, but I'd rather tear down to build up tonight.

EDIT: This did NOT work. It managed to run FreeBSD 13-CURRENT after doing the above, though it flat out rejects 12.1-RELEASE. Going to try 12.1-STABLE. Then I'll likely try 13-CURRENT again if this doesn't work...if that doesn't work...I'll be at a loss again

Okay, this time I definitely got it. I couldn't simply destroy the labels. I had to flat out destroy all previous zpool partitions. For some, ouch. For me, I know my backups work. I found the former zpool info was still present by running `zpool import`, then it'd show that there were multiple of zroot. I used gpart to nuke the drive entirely. I guess this means Ubuntu doesn't do a complete scrub of drives during install?

Okay, this time I definitely got it. I couldn't simply destroy the labels. I had to flat out destroy all previous zpool partitions. For some, ouch. For me, I know my backups work. I found the former zpool info was still present by running `zpool import`, then it'd show that there were multiple of zroot. I used gpart to nuke the drive entirely. I guess this means Ubuntu doesn't do a complete scrub of drives during install?
Hi,I have a similiar problem to you。I use WD SN750 for installing FreeBSD13.0,but it occured mountroot error 6. Do you fixed this question?

Hi,I have a similiar problem to you。I use WD SN750 for installing FreeBSD13.0,but it occured mountroot error 6. Do you fixed this question?
Are you using a custom kernel? I see a similar thread here to your issue if you did a custom compile. Maybe there's other info that can help you out here

Are you using a custom kernel? I see a similar thread here to your issue if you did a custom compile. Maybe there's other info that can help you out here

Thanks for your reply. No, I'm using official FreeBSD13.0 iso that isn't changed

Back