Epiphany can't connect to the Internet

I have set up xfce4 as my window manager.

I have however encountered a problem. Epiphany is the default web browser but I can not seem to get it to connect to the Internet. What can I do to alleviate this issue? Is there something that I should do with the rc.conf file?

Moved to the Networking section because it doesn't appear to be a window manager issue. -- Mod

Are you sure that your box can access to the Internet? What if you try to ping [url]http://www.google.com[/url]?

I pinged http://www.google.com. once before even entering xfce and once after typing in the command startx. Both times I receved a valid IP address (74.125.26.106 and 74.125.131.147 respectively). The command did present the problem that it would not terminate and proceeded on indefinitely.

That's what ping(8) does by default.

Epiphany is not the default web browser for Xfce. As far as I know, there is no default, just autodetected browsers that are already installed. Check the configuration for Epiphany, maybe it's set to use a proxy or something. Or run it from the command line to see if any obvious problems are reported there.

what is a decent browser

What browser can I install from ports to have a working browser with the Xfce4 window manager?

BJwojnowski said:
What browser can I install from ports to have a working browser with the Xfce4 window manager?
The window manager doesn't really matter. Just pick any browser you like: Midori, Firefox, Opera, Chrome/Chromium, SeaMonkey, whatever. Just make sure the browser is properly configured, given your networking settings.

question

My question is how do I install from ports a particular browser? I looked for Midori in the /usr/ports/net directory and could not find Midori. As I type this I realized I should have looked in the wm directory too.

BJwojnowski said:
My question is how do I install from ports a particular browser? I looked for Midori in the /usr/ports/net directory and could not find Midori. As I type this I realized I should have looked in the wm directory too.
Browsers are typically in /usr/ports/www.

Solved

I decided to reinstall freeBSD 9.1 on the Toshiba laptop which is a dual boot system. I then followed the suggestions and have xfce as the window manager and I have chromium as the web browser. My remaining question is: What is a good mail program to run in xfce?

BJwojnowski said:
My remaining question is: What is a good mail program to run in xfce?

That should be a new thread. One answer that works in this thread is to use webmail.

Back