enlightenment screen lock password

Seems it have some problems when I lock screen and want to unlock it.
It says the password is not correct, I google it and found similars problems but with no replies. Any has solved it or knows how to do it?. Thanks.

The wiki says this:

Screen unlocking does not work

If screenlock does not accept your password add the following to /etc/pam.d/enlightenment:

auth required pam_unix_auth.so

But I can not find enlightenment under /pam.d/. So I do not know if is good to create it or something is missing here.

I decided to create the file and add that line inside, but now the screen can be unlocked writing anything so it is not working well. When the screen unlocks it says this:

Code:
Authentications via PAM had errors setting up the authentication session. The error code was 1.

That advice in the wiki is most likely for Linux, in FreeBSD the PAM module is called pam_unix(8). Try this line in the file:

Code:
auth required pam_unix.so

adripillo said:
I do not know what enlightenment uses to lock the screen, but it is not a screensaver for sure.
Don't let the name fool you, x11/xscreensaver can also lock the screen if so desired.

Anyway, does Enlightenment have a setting somewhere that specifies how the screen is locked?

adripillo said:
This one worked fine and is very funny. Thanks a lot. Hope some day the Enlightenment get fixed.
I'm glad you now have at least something that works. However, I suspect that the problem with the other locks isn't in Enlightenment itself but in your system's PAM configuration. I do recommend that you look into it when you can spare the time.

fonz said:
I'm glad you now have at least something that works. However, I suspect that the problem with the other locks isn't in Enlightenment itself but in your system's PAM configuration. I do recommend that you look into it when you can spare the time.

I do have the time, but as you can suspect I do not have idea about PAM, but I will google all I can. Thanks a lot.

Workaround

I don't think it is a PAM problem because I had this problem with two different installations - PC-BSD 9.0 and PC-BSD 9.1 with two different versions of Enlightenment. It seems that Enlightenment does not speak correctly with the FreeBSD PAM subsystem.

The solution I've found - use another PAM library (pam_pwdfile), specially for Enlightenment unlock authentication.

We need to install two ports:
security/pam_pwdfile
security/makepasswd

Then we need to create an encrypted password:
[cmd=]echo "<password>" | makepasswd --clearfrom - --crypt-md5[/cmd]

The encrypted password will be written to the console.

To be secure - don't forget to clear commands history.

The encrypted password should be saved in a password file, for example in /usr/local/etc/enlightenment.passwd.

The content is usable for a password file:
Code:
<login>:<password-crypted>

The last step - we need to create the file /etc/pam.d/enlightenment with the content
Code:
auth	required	/usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile /usr/local/etc/enlightenment.passwd
Now you can lock the screen with Enlightenment and check if it works.

If it does not work - change the content of /etc/pam.d/enlightenment to
Code:
auth	required	pam_permit.so
so you can unlock the screen with any password, and try something else.

Back