Enlightenment on FreeBSD 9

Salaam Everyone,

I hope you are doing well, actually a have a fresh FreeBSD 9 & x11-wm/enlightenment installed. 1st I thing I've noticed that there is no file manager so I've install PCmanFM, but I might switch to thunar. 2nd I have no idea how to reboot or shutdown my laptop & also I cannot burn a CD/DVD using xfburn :\.

appreciate your ideas & eXperience
Code:
FreeBSD nb.local.lan 9.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Jun 12 02:52:29 UTC 2012     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Amr

amr said:
Salaam Everyone,

I hope you are doing well, actually a have a fresh FreeBSD 9 & x11-wm/enlightenment installed. 1st I thing I've noticed that there is no file manager so I've install PCmanFM, but I might switch to thunar. 2nd I have no idea how to reboot or shutdown my laptop & also I cannot burn a CD/DVD using xfburn :\.

appreciate your ideas & eXperience
Code:
FreeBSD nb.local.lan 9.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Jun 12 02:52:29 UTC 2012     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Amr

I believe the default is called efm. You can look at http://evidence.sourceforge.net/ as well.

I used to run e16 and just used the terminal. If e17 doesn't have it in the base port look inside the x11-wm/ directory for e17-* for additions.

~

Thank you chatwizrd & UNIXgod,

the thing is PC-BSD is using KDE, etc and the installer not like bsdinstall infact I would like to learn I don't want just to use FreeBSD on my laptop I would like to know what I am doing. I wish to be one of FreeBSD power users.

I know also there is ghostBSD which is using gnome but as I said I would like to learn FreeBSD then I can customize it.

FreeBSD has an amazing installer wich is bsdinstall I used it and then i've installed xorg, enlightenment, firefox, cairo-docks and compiz

my question is how to reboot & shutdown the FreeBSD in GUI

for LXDE & XFCE I have made .pkla file and worked for me but I don't know how to do this in enlightenment.

and also I could't burn any CD/DVD I have tried /etc/devfs.conf but didn't work for me

my user is belongs to wheel but I think I need to know more about hald & dbus and files permission.

Thank you

amr,
to access system actions in Enlightenment you should go to Main Menu -> System. You can configure Enlightenment to use LXDE menu as main menu (in Settings Panel). Normally you have "Power Off", "Reboot", "Suspend", "Hibernate", "Lock" and "Logout" buttons here. The behaviour of these buttons is defined in /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf file. Normally you need to change this file to power off your system. You should set SUID for /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys file to get working "Reboot" and "Power Off". I recommend you the forum of www.bodhilinux.com if you have more questions about Enlightenment.

Hi amr! You wrote a thing with which I can not agree; "the thing is PC-BSD is using KDE (...)". This is not true, because PC-BSD since the 9.0-RELEASE offers a variety of Window Managers, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE or LXDE and many more. KDE was the default and integrated DE in earlier versions of PC-BSD such as 7.x and 8.x RELEASE. Of course Developers improve/add much more things e.g. UFS+SUJ (Soft-Updates Journaled) file-system by default and much more. More info here; Some 9.0 highlights.

In my opinion, PC-BSD 9 is a pretty good system. It can - with success - be used as a typical Desktop and of course, not only. PC-BSD has grown to a important competing Operating System and if we compare with, for example, Windows or/and Linux, also became a very good alternative for these two Systems. Three words, which describe PC-BSD 9 in a proper way? Simple. Stable. Secure.

francis said:
Hi amr! You wrote a thing with which I can not agree; "the thing is PC-BSD is using KDE (...)". This is not true, because PC-BSD since the 9.0-RELEASE

Yup. You are correct. PC-BSD is coming into its own.

But amr asked a question about the enlightenment windows manager on FreeBSD. He did not ask if he should use FreeBSD or PC-BSD. He did not ask if one was easier than the other. Yet he was given this answer in the first reply. I have a feeling that chatwizrd's reply was based on not knowing about what the enlightenment windows manager is.

Thank you all, appreciate your replies

Please note that I did not mean that PC-BSD is not good. All I wanted is to use FreeBSD and customize it as I like.

Amr

amr,
to access system actions in Enlightenment you should go to Main Menu -> System. You can configure Enlightenment to use LXDE menu as main menu (in Settings Panel). Normally you have "Power Off", "Reboot", "Suspend", "Hibernate", "Lock" and "Logout" buttons here. The behaviour of these buttons is defined in /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf file. Normally you need to change this file to power off your system. You should set SUID for /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys file to get working "Reboot" and "Power Off". I recommend you the forum of www.bodhilinux.com if you have more questions about Enlightenment.

I can't get halt/reboot working...

This is my /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf file:
Code:
# root is allowed to do anything - but it needs to be here explicitly anyway
user:     root      allow: *
user:      *         allow: halt reboot

How to set suid for /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys ?

How to set suid for /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys ?
sudo chown root:wheel /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys
sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys

If it still does not work - try to create a symlink of /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf in /etc/enlightenment/ - in the recent versions of Enlightenment there is a build-time variable to fix the directory where Enlightenment searches sysactions.conf, maybe it was not correctly set by port's Makefile:
sudo mkdir /etc/enlightenment
sudo ln -s /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf

BTW, I recommend to replace EFL 1.20.7 from ports by EFL 1.21.1 from https://download.enlightenment.org/rel/libs/efl/ (you need to rebuild both EFL and Enlightenment from sources) to increase the stability of Enlightenment. I don't know why EFL is outdated in ports.

sudo chown root:wheel /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys
sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys

If it still does not work - try to create a symlink of /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf in /etc/enlightenment/ - in the recent versions of Enlightenment there is a build-time variable to fix the directory where Enlightenment searches sysactions.conf, maybe it was not correctly set by port's Makefile:
sudo mkdir /etc/enlightenment
sudo ln -s /usr/local/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf

BTW, I recommend to replace EFL 1.20.7 from ports by EFL 1.21.1 from https://download.enlightenment.org/rel/libs/efl/ (you need to rebuild both EFL and Enlightenment from sources) to increase the stability of Enlightenment. I don't know why EFL is outdated in ports.

Thank you, my issue is solved!! :)

Back