Other Enhanced Motif Window Manager

Yes, it is very good window manager. It allow to have a CDE like desktop without having the complexity of CDE. Also, it is have a real FULLSCREEN!

This application is in beta development stage and hasn't been thoroughly tested yet. But this project is promising.

Looks like Windows 3.1 - base background with icons for minimized running apps.
Actually it looks like standard good old Motif. Could one argue that "Motif looks like Windows 3.1"? Sure. But if one just needs a window manager, it's good.

Nice. I have always planned to have a crack at a motif file manager but never got time. Xfile is looking really good. Actually it seems like the authors projects and aims in general are pretty cool. This could turn into the modern Motif desktop we all need. ;)

I think it is the other way round. Windows 3.1 was designed to look like Motif which was the current "UI trend" back then everyone was trying to copy. Irix's WM (admittedly based on Mwm), Fvwm, DESQview were all giving it a shot.

Ironically Windows 3.1 was more flat so ends up looking more "modern" than Windows 95 -> Windows 7. Funny how this stuff goes around in circles.

Motif is super lightweight, right?

It's hard to find ressources on how to program with it. That's why I chose the "easier" gtk3 in my project. 🙈

Motif is super lightweight, right?

It's hard to find ressources on how to program with it. That's why I chose the "easier" gtk3 in my project. 🙈
I think the problem is all the documentation on how to use the Motif toolkit is out of print :)

Yes and I will work on the utils port (with the session manager etc) as well in the coming days, this is missing from the emwm port and will be a separate package.

The last time I took a crack at Motif development, I used this guide.
It looks like it is now an open book from OReilly
https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/motif/vol6a/Vol6a_html/toc.html

Thanks. Hopefully its easy to read.
So mostly Motif is on top of Xorg? Instead of gtk/qt/others.
So only drm driver needed and EMWM as desktop?
Easy to make basic window apps with motif? GPIO status page like?
Counters? Gauges? Sliders?
Not here:

OK thats is too much for me. I need basic C skills first.

Code:
  Cardinal
   MrmRegisterClass(class_code, class_name, proc_name, create_proc,
                    widget_class)
       MrmType     class_code;
       String      class_name;
       String      proc_name;
       Widget    (*create_proc)();
       WidgetClass widget_class;

Why won't this example compile? What am I missing? I am linked to lX11. Is the /usr/local/ path needed?

cc -o first first.c -lXm -lXt -lX11
Code:
first.c:1:10: fatal error: 'X11/Intrinsic.h' file not found
#include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

# find /usr/local/ -name Intrinsic.h
Code:
/usr/local/include/X11/Intrinsic.h

What am I missing? I am linked to lX11. Is the /usr/local/ path needed?
Yes, the path /usr/local/include is not a built-in default, you need to supply -I/usr/local/include, probably also -L/usr/local/lib.

For this reason, I like to use a build system that does the job for me. Here is a devel/cmake template, which I used for one of my projects:
Code:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.1)

project(helloworld)

set(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS} -std=c11 -Wall -Wextra")

find_package(X11 REQUIRED)
find_package(Motif REQUIRED)

include_directories(
  ${MOTIF_INCLUDE_DIR}
  ${X11_INCLUDE_DIR}
  ${X11_Xt_INCLUDE_PATH}
)

link_libraries(
  ${MOTIF_LIBRARIES}
  ${X11_Xt_LIB}
  ${X11_LIBRARIES}
)

add_executable(helloworld main.c)

Quite much boiler-plate, but it scales really well.

Oops you were right.

cc -o first first.c -lXm -lXt -lX11 -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib
Code:
first.c:5:9: warning: type specifier missing, defaults to 'int' [-Wimplicit-int]

main(int argc, char *argv[])

^

1 warning generated.

Thanks. I will give this tutorial a shot.

Back on topic. Would you actually use the drm drivers or is that un-needed fluff on EMWM?

Is there any advantage to using drm drivers versus scfb for this lightweight desktop?

I see Firefox in a screenshot so that would need drm drivers to work right?

Seems like it might make a nice kiosk desktop like OpenBox..

Back