Encrypting the swap partition?

Certainly. Take a look at the handbook section: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/swap-encrypting.html :)

I noticed a small error in that section:

It assumes a UFS file system where /dev/ada0s1b is the swap partition.

This I think should read instead:

It assumes an MBR partitioned disk ada0 where /dev/ada0s1b is the swap partition.

Swap as configured by default uses no filesystem and is separate from the actual filesystems so referring to UFS is not proper there.

I usually just do it from the install menu when I setup my server using ZFS as the file system. They offer a great book "The Design And Implementation Of The FreeBSD Operating System." Long title but a great read and reference for stuff like this. It will take you from n00b to systems admin in no time. Linux was driving me insane so I spent 3 months learning BSD and haven't looked back since.

Are you sure about the title of that book? Because the one I have is about design, not sysadmin stuff, and would not be very useful for those wishing to learn FreeBSD system administration.

I usually just do it from the install menu when I setup my server using ZFS as the file system. They offer a great book "The Design And Implementation Of The FreeBSD Operating System." Long title but a great read and reference for stuff like this. It will take you from n00b to systems admin in no time. Linux was driving me insane so I spent 3 months learning BSD and haven't looked back since.

I apologize I completely told you the wrong title lol... Thats the wrong book like wblock@ stated thats just the book I read the most and find most helpful for the stuff i do. My ebooks collection is quite extensive and I have a number of titles from Michael Lucas, The one I should have referenced is "FreeBSD Mastery: Storage Essentials"... I have a number of titles from this author but I believe this one should be a good place to start.

However the one I said first is also a great book. Every BSD sys admin should own that book its an indispensable resources when you want to get in to the interworking of the OS, has a wealth of valuable knowledge.

Your question is kind of vague. I didn't say anything before but I need to know more about what your doing? Are we talking during installation or on a system thats already up and running? I would need to know more about the specific situation in order to properly answer your question. During installation you have the option to encrypt the swap drive.

Back