Solved empty files while merging during freebsd-update upgrade -r 12.0

I attempted to upgrade two machines from FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p9 to 12.0-RELEASE and ran into the
same problem on both of them. During merging of configuration files, I was presented empty files in vim.

Code:
% freebsd-version -ukr
11.2-RELEASE-p9
11.2-RELEASE-p9
11.2-RELEASE-p9

On the first machine I ran freebsd-update -r 12.0 upgrade and generic/kernel and
base/world where detected correctly as the only installed components.
When it came to manually merge of configuartion files, /boot/device.hints and /etc/
all where empty when opened in vim. Still I continued and saved all the empty files.
After merging, when one should confirm the files contents, they where shown in the way they
should have been shown in vim, with original 11.2 <<<<<<<< and new >>>>>>>> 12.0 parts.

After I finished with freebsd-update install and reboots, the system was in bad condition,
so I rolled back.
The rollback didn't do much, the 12.0 kernel remained in place and in /etc still a wild mix of
11.2 and 12.0 configuration files, so I restored /etc from a backup, taken right before the upgrade.
freebsd-version now showed a mix of 11.2-RELEASE-p9 and 11.2-RELEASE-p8 but evinerything worked
fine again.

Tried another freebsd-update -r 12.0 upgrade and suddenly merging worked and I
could finish the upgrade without problems.

Now on the second machine, I experience the same problem. I tried several times, but merging does
not work. Haven't yet installed the empty files as I did on the other machine.
I wonder if I borked something earlier using freebsd-update, as freebsd-version showed a mix
of 11.2-RELEASE-p9/p8 after rollback on the first machine.

I usually do all major version upgrades from source as that has somehow allways worked better for
me, then using freebsd-update. Thought I give it another try but it allways bites me in the back.

What I tried so far...
- checked Announcement and Release Notes for 12.0-RELEASE
- double checked handbook and man freebsd-update
- searched the forum
- removed contents of /var/db/freebsd-update
- tried other editors, no change
- removed ~/.cshrc to run on clean/default environment
- tried freebsd-update fetch (and install) to make sure there where no pending steps

What could I be doing wrong? I'm out of ideas. Help appreciated.

Back