Other Easy Programming - Beginner Yabasic Yabook?

I'm not at all familiar with historical LISPs. One feature that LISP originally didn't have is lexical scoping, which is kinda important if you want to be able to read and understand code in addition to writing it. This is again an ALGOL feature and it is almost universally adopted now.

I'm not at all familiar with historical LISPs. One feature that LISP originally didn't have is lexical scoping, which is kinda important if you want to be able to read and understand code in addition to writing it. This is again an ALGOL feature and it is almost universally adopted now.

Algol and Lisp - wow !
That's cool - there are many nice pictures of Bell lab on the web.

This is a cool page, tracing historical development:

--
WAIT 6502, 1

Lisp... i always liked it. btw, if someone is in terested and lives in the SF Bay Area, at the Comouter History Museum, on weekends, there are a few old men talking about very old computers (sorry for sloppy info, typing on phone). One of them is the guy who wrote the first Lisp implementation ! I highly reccomend you all to visit if u can.

And on Wednesdays at the Computer History Museum, you can see an IBM 1401 from the late 1950s actually fully operating. They bay area is chock full of computer history, both human (you can run into Ken Thompson, Don Knuth, ...) and artifacts (I have touched the first disk drive ever built, and seen the first inkjet printer prototype).

Too bad I live in Europe.
There are very interesting places in Europe, too.

For example, there's the Museum of Technology in Berlin. There you can see – among other things – authentic replicas of the Z1 (the first binary computer ever) and the Z3, which is actually working and presented by Prof. Horst Zuse, son of the famous CS pioneer Konrad Zuse.

Another recommendation is the computers exhibition of the Deutsches Museum in Munich. There you can see a lot of interesting pieces, like Leibniz' famous calculating machine (~1700), Nowak's “Equation Solving Machine” (1915), the Enigma cipher machine (2nd WW), IBM 7074 and 360-20, and a CRAY-1. They also have a collection of historic personal computers, such as Altair 8800, Apple-1 and PET 2001.

Back