E17 file manager or other issues?

Hi all,

I got E17 going...wasnt hard once I realized my xinit mistake, but Its not impressing me very much, I was wondering if its something I missed, or cause its basically still beta at 16.999.

When I go to change the icon for an item in the iBar for example, the left panel shows no icons, and also when I go to change a theme, it doesnt list any themes in the left panel, not even the default "bling bling" theme, it almost seems to me that I dont have a file manager installed, and I cant seem to find one, though a Wiki page says it has one built in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment_(window_manager)

After sitting overnight, and trying to open Firefox from the iBar this morning, E17 crashed, but I imagine thats unrelated.

If it is a file manager problem, can anyone recommend a good one, that works well with E17? It seems a lot of people like Thunar, but I was kinda of getting partial to Nautilus.

Also any other must have apps? Im pretty close to just removing E17 and maybe trying out XFCE, but I thought I would give it a chance, all this "bling" is a little much, I like dark and sleek, also I have a peeve about stuff named iExample...like iGoogle, and now an iBar, iCrap should just be left to Apple, IMHO.

Thanks

This is e17 from ports? That version is 21 months old. Unfortunately no one has ported a newer version to FreeBSD and updated the ports tree, which could explain a number of problems.

Adam

adamk, I used the package...was being lazy. Its just built off the port though isnt it? As in it wouldnt be any newer for something that old.

Thanks

Just an update, I logged into root, fired up E17, and the file manager is working, had installed the package from root, but unless Im missing something that wouldnt matter.

Trying to find the name of the filemanager, to see if I can run it from terminal on my User, check if it lists any errors, permissions, etc, but Im probably over complicating this.

Back