DVD Image on memstick?

Hi,
I want to download the complete FreeBSD DVD1 image as memstick image, but it is not released.
Please make it for users who have not any DVD reader device.
Best Regards.

From experience, you will still need the Internet to bring your system up to date, both the base system, and the applications (ports tree). My recommendation, don't bother with the DVD image if you have an alternative (memstick image).

Dominique.

After installing from the memstick image, you should be able to dd the DVD iso image to a flash drive and mount it something like mount -t cd9660 /dev/da0 /mnt to use the packages.

I suggest not using the packages from the DVD at all. Those packages are from when the release was made, they're never updated. So, by the time you install them from the DVD they're old and need to be updated. Just skip them and install packages after you have a fully running FreeBSD.

I knew all of hints that said. I knew that DVD have old packages that might be need to updating.
BUT,
I want to use DVD packages for offline mode installing. If the DVD package was not good for installing then why did not deleted from FreeBSD repository? And if so good, then why released just ISO image? (No img for memstick user!)

I wanted to install FreeBSD that way a few years ago. I like the idea of having a DVD with everything together so you know all pieces of software and libraries are compatible together. I found out that the FreeBSD DVD does have lots of software, but not all of them. That's when s*it hits the fan. So, you'll have to rely on the Internet, and then upgrade EVERYTHING.

1) Install FreeBSD from whatever works
2) Provide Internet access
3) Resume ports and packages installation to your liking
4) Take the computer offline if you wish so.

Dominique.

I knew all of hints that said. I knew that DVD have old packages that might be need to updating.
BUT,
I want to use DVD packages for offline mode installing. If the DVD package was not good for installing then why did not deleted from FreeBSD repository? And if so good, then why released just ISO image? (No img for memstick user!)
As someone mentioned earlier (fossette), the DVD image doesn't have everything on it. How would it anyway since our repositories contain well over 20k packages. Anyhow, if you still prefer an offline installation from the DVD image, try to find a cheap USB DVD-ROM and continue from there.

I wanted to install FreeBSD that way a few years ago. I like the idea of having a DVD with everything together so you know all pieces of software and libraries are compatible together. I found out that the FreeBSD DVD does have lots of software, but not all of them. That's when s*it hits the fan. So, you'll have to rely on the Internet, and then upgrade EVERYTHING.

1) Install FreeBSD from whatever works
2) Provide Internet access
3) Resume ports and packages installation to your liking
4) Take the computer offline if you wish so.

Dominique.
Otherwise, I highly support this or preparing the hard drive (full installation) on one computer and transferring it to another. Still, remember that without Internet connection you don't get system updates or bug fixes so it's rather sub-optimal.

Back