drm-next-kmod and 11.2-RELEASE

I have only one box with 11-STABLE, now rebuilding. I shall try my luck without xf86-video-* and then build WM & minimal ports except firefox & palemoon. I don't understand the diference of portsnap and svn'ing.

Portsnap gives you only the head branch 1) of the ports tree with its own update tracking system. With SVN you can checkout and update any of the quarterly branches 2) as well. You have to choose to use only one of the methods because you can't update a ports tree checked out with portsnap(8) with SVN and vice versa.

1) https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/
2) https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/

I have made it to the other side! Thank you both.
Now I am trying to figure out how to boot in bios mode, I tried many experiments in uefi, but got as far as the fourth or fifth .bin module loading. But I guess it's time for grub?

I have made it to the other side! Thank you both.
Now I am trying to figure out how to boot in bios mode, I tried many experiments in uefi, but got as far as the fourth or fifth .bin module loading. But I guess it's time for grub?

Your GPU is AMD...

The drm-next-kmod port can be enabled for amdgpu (for AMD GPUs starting with
the HD7000 series / Tahiti) through kld_list in /etc/rc.conf. radeonkms for older AMD GPUs
can be loaded and there are some positive reports if EFI boot is NOT enabled (similar to amdgpu).

For amdgpu: kld_list="amdgpu"

Please ensure that all users requiring graphics are members of the "video" group.

So set your configuration to boot in BIOS mode, *not* UEFI.

This is wrong, to get the release engineering branch of 11.2 with all the errata and security fixes you have to use:

svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.2 /usr/src

The release/11.2.0 branch is just a snapshot (also called a tag but SVN doesn't have tags, only branches) from the time of the release is never again updated.

Indeed, my mistake. I need to make the habit of proof-reading a bit more of a priority.

puretone you rascal! :)
I am ON UEFI & AMD KABINI Running accelerated!!
I sent hw.syscons on vacation in /boot/loader.conf
Code:
hw.syscons.disable=1

FYI your "mistake" about the svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.2 /usr/src
url was USED and is working, therefore no mistake! Ill bet if i got the releng I would have had success, but I am GLAD I didn't. I didn't want to screw my ports up... (lotsa /work builds would have gone up in smoke)

So I like La Trappe, what's your beer?
I owe you man!

FYI your "mistake" about the svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.2 /usr/src
url was USED and is working, therefore no mistake! Ill bet if i got the releng I would have had success, but I am GLAD I didn't. I didn't want to screw my ports up... (lotsa /work builds would have gone up in smoke)

So I like La Trappe, what's your beer?

I owe you man!

If the BIOS doesn't make it specifically obvious how to "disable" UEFI, it is usually achieved by setting CSM (Compatibility Support Module) enabled...which you'll have to look at your specific device's documentation.

-RELEASE and -RELENG should both work when it comes to using the drm-next-kmod drivers at this point in time, hence why it would work...you'd just be missing/behind on some security updates and fixes.

Unibroue - Maudite is my favorite beer of choice lately (more like 10+ years now). Trois Pistoles & La Fin Du Monde are great as well.

What if you do not have a BIOS? I have FreeBSD on iMac.

forget the uefi, just go to /boot/loader.conf and write hw.syscons.disable=1 in cursive
also, if you have intel graphics, kld_list="i915kms" inside /etc/rc.conf line one, very beginning.
The first action disables efifb (UEFI FRAME BUFFER) and the other loads the intel integrated graphics kernel module.
Be sure to get the graphics/drm-next-kmod port installed first.

forget the uefi, just go to /boot/loader.conf and write hw.syscons.disable=1 in cursive
also, if you have intel graphics, kld_list="i915kms" inside /etc/rc.conf line one, very beginning.
The first action disables efifb (UEFI FRAME BUFFER) and the other loads the intel integrated graphics kernel module.
Be sure to get the graphics/drm-next-kmod port installed first.
I have a Radeon card (Mobility Radeon HD 4850) and it is old. I will try Linux and if works there.

I have a Radeon card (Mobility Radeon HD 4850) and it is old. I will try Linux and if works there.
no linux!! i have been down that road, leads to nothing.
just kld_list="amdgpu" or "radeon" in /etc/rc.conf.
here is mine: kld_list="amdgpu" i use this for KABINI.
fiddle with your xorg.conf a little bit because mine did NOT
Code:
X -configure
automatically.

Code:
Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz",
        ### <percent>: "<f>%"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DefaultRefresh"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"        # [<bool>]

#       Identifier  "card0"
#       Driver      "amdgpu"
    Identifier "AMD"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "DRI" "3"
    Option "TearFree" "true"

BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

This section I had to write by hand.

I didn't say I will swith to Linux but I will try one live version and see how my gr. card works there. And today I saw graphics/xf86-video-ati-legacy.

I search but I didn't find which old Radeon cards are supported with the new ati drivers and dri-next-kmod Thank you.

what imac do you have? like the actual model? (in mac os x Apple menu > system profiler (holding the option button if you have the newer disaster that likes to hide stuff) it should be #1 in the apple menu

iMac 11.1 with ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory.
your gpu is considered new, the "radeon" is for older gpu's. No legacy for you.
trial and error: build drm-next-kmod from ports (very important) - deinstall all the xf86-video-* you installed, and follow my steps about no efifb, and try to load amdgpu, radeon. If you make it to root login (no xorg) and you see messages about successful [VT: Replacing driver "vga" with new "fb"] this means you are on the right track.
These steps get your graphics card recognized, but you have to tweak xorg.conf manually. I will try to do this on my 2008 mac pro, I wanted freeBSD on it a long time,
Also I upgraded to this radeon on a stick a while back so ill try to play this instrument with you soon.
Most probably my kernel drivers will coincide with what you need.
What did the linux liveCD do for you? did you try / any news?

your gpu is considered new, the "radeon" is for older gpu's. No legacy for you.
trial and error: build drm-next-kmod from ports (very important) - deinstall all the xf86-video-* you installed, and follow my steps about no efifb, and try to load amdgpu, radeon. If you make it to root login (no xorg) and you see messages about successful [VT: Replacing driver "vga" with new "fb"] this means you are on the right track.
These steps get your graphics card recognized, but you have to tweak xorg.conf manually. I will try to do this on my 2008 mac pro, I wanted freeBSD on it a long time,
Also I upgraded to this radeon on a stick a while back so ill try to play this instrument with you soon.
Most probably my kernel drivers will coincide with what you need.
What did the linux liveCD do for you? did you try / any news?
Thank you for try to help me but it doesn't works. As you wrote "radeon' is for older gpu and I have Radeon. And I am byuilding all ports, I do not use packages.
For me is the old ATI driver okay and I will stay with them...

Thank you.

Radeon GPU are auto detected from base for radeonkms. If not may try by /etc/rc.conf. If still does not work then install graphics/drm-kmod which will eventually install correct module. For UEFI ref. to post #57.
I did install graphics/drm-kmod which installed graphics/drm-stable-kmod and graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod.
Than /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
and in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
hw.syscons.disable=1
kern.vty="vt"
And after restart never show anythink: black screen. Downgrade ati driver and use kernel driver.
I have FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE (amd64) and I am using portsnap for updating ports and as I wrote I am using iMac 11,1 - efi boot.

Back