Solved Double Upgrade....

• Thread starter Deleted member 43773
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43773

*sigh*...I made a mess again :rolleyes:

After 13.1 was released, I updated my little server.
After freebsd-update fetch was done I started freebsd-update install but - please guys, don't hit me too hard now, even if I deserved it - I aborted it after a while (don't ask why. This all will only get to (my) stupidity.)

Then I ran freebsd-update install again and let it finish.
Also portsnap fetch, extract, pkg upgrade & update done.
My server runs. Seem no problems so far.
But now I see two entries in my zpool:

Code:
NAME                                        USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot                                      2.66T  2.48T      128K  /zroot
zroot/ROOT                                 17.0G  2.48T      128K  none
zroot/ROOT/13.1-RELEASE_2022-05-18_183353  11.6K  2.48T     13.8G  /
zroot/ROOT/13.1-RELEASE_2022-05-19_083632  11.6K  2.48T     14.0G  /
zroot/ROOT/default                         17.0G  2.48T     13.4G  /
...etc....
The first one obviously is from the date I aborted freebsd-update install, the second is the one I let finish.

Will this be solved automatically when the next update will be installed?
Are there any smart solutions?
Maybe it's just trivial or of no concerns at all.
I just didn't find anything like it, so I'm just asking you here.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at what bectl list tells you; see also Managing Boot Environments and the CreateBootEnv option in freebsd-update.conf(5). I think the extra entries are probably related to the auto-created boot environments during an upgrade.

As long as you got your new packages when you were fully upgraded to 13.1, there shouldn't be a mismatch between packages and base system.

I had this problem on my VPS and couldn't figure out "where all the space was going." This may help:

Look for ZFS snapshots with
zfs list -t snapshot

Then nuke the snapshots with
zfs destroy MAKE_SURE_YOU_GET_THE_WHOLE_@_LINE_IN_HERE

I just received the mail about answers - any probs with the forum's server or just one of those mails who decided to go a couple times around the world first? :cool:

However:
Thanks for all the input.
Since my server starts to run out of capicity anyway I decided to set up a new one.
Although I read about the stuff you posted and again learned the one thing or another that might help in the future.

So:
Thanks!

[...] I started freebsd-update install but - please guys, don't hit me too hard now, even if I deserved it - I aborted it after a while (don't ask why. This all will only get to (my) stupidity.)
Maybe irrelevant to your situation but: In the past when I had less experience than now, I ran into stupid issues like loosing the SSH connection during an upgrade. Since then, I tend to fire use sysutils/tmux (or sysutils/screen depending on your preferences) and do the update/upgrade procedure in a session there. That way, if you loose your SSH connection (or similar) you can just log back in, bring the session back up and continue.

Back