Does JuneOS use jails ?

Looking at some doc it seems that juneos is using jails for jweb. But is this used for other parts of the system? Where the router engine is running? Is there any presentation of the internals somewhere ?

We will not allow technical/support questions about any operating system other than FreeBSD anywhere on this forum. That includes the Off-Topic forum. Always ask technical/support questions about other operating systems on the forums or mailing lists associated with those operating systems.

drhowarddrfine juneos is based on freebsd so I thought it would be interesting to understand how it is architectured on top, since one of the usage of freebsd is to be embedded in other products. This discussion could provide some hints for others.

juneos is freebsd based :

Though it can be shipped as vm now , and Juniper seems toadd more and more support to linux.

Seems Junos OS Evolved runs on a linux kernel not Junos OS.

Anyway, we are far from FreeBSD. So, yes, wrong place.

Note the OS is just there to control the system, the actual switching, routing and/or firewalling is done in hardware.

It depend of the hardware. The filtering and routing is done on CPU and the forwarding (switching) is done on ASICs

Some other brands like Mikrotik have similar design. Where the filtering (firewall) and routing is done on the ARM /MIPS and the forwarding(switching) is offloaded on another IC like Marvell 98DX8332

I wish that there's more FreeBSD compatible L2/L3 switch hardware controlled via etherswitchcfg(8) so instead of using software based if_bridge to utilize the hardware based switching/forwarding.

I recognized my topic may have been badly phrased. For me the intent is to try to understand how their internals workss 'usage of jaoill or not) and try to port that for an acutal project using plain vanilla freebsd. I'm attempting to build a router with possible offload on the cards anthe rest in software using bird and others.

For now i have put the router in a bhyve with SRV-IO, pinned cpu and wired memory but wondering if it wouldn't be simpler and more resilient to just pout the router in a vm with the interfaces isolated in. Any hint is welcome.

Back