Does FreeBSD need a cool alias or another name?

When we take over the entire universe, it will be universally known simply as "The OS"
devilgrin.gif

h83045D4D

Beastie said:
When we take over the entire universe, it will be universally known simply as "The OS"
devilgrin.gif

I think you are wrong there... They will most likely remove the 'O' in 'OS' and it is most probably going to be known as "The System". :p

I usually shudder when I see a word or sentence that starts with "free". It's usually anything but.

I've gotten used to FreeBSD, and it's never failed to produce the "free" part. So it's Ok. Anything else with "free" in it, hits me like a carnival style marketing campaign. FreeNix? FreeOS? Ughhh. If they changed the name from FreeBSD, nobody could find them anymore.

BSoD
Berkeley Software Distribution

DDOS
Dynamic Distribution Operating System

WORM
Wide Operating Relentless Machine

P.s.: I'm kidding.

I've never liked the name. It sounds funny (odd) when you say it out loud, and no one knows what it is, which makes it worse.

Freee Beee Ess Deeee.

Pushrod said:
I've never liked the name. It sounds funny (odd) when you say it out loud, and no one knows what it is, which makes it worse.

Freee Beee Ess Deeee.

It could be "Free Beers Sandwiches and Daemonettes" :e

D4rkSilver said:
I think you are wrong there... They will most likely remove the 'O' in 'OS' and it is most probably going to be known as "The System". :p
That was a last-second change. "The System" is what I was initially thinking of, but I didn't want it to sound too political (with a rather pejorative connotation at that). :stud

--> Soundtrack

cpm said:
It could be "Free Beers Sandwiches and Devilettes" :e
Daemonettes looks more appropriate. ;)

igorino said:
BSoD
Berkeley Software Distribution

DDOS
Dynamic Distribution Operating System

WORM
Wide Operating Relentless Machine
Oh no. Are you joking?
BSoD: whenever I heard that name, I always though about Windows BSOD: Blue Screen Of Death!
DDOS: Do you think FreeBSD the best server OS for DDOS?
WORM: Something like Win32 virus?

Although this will never happen, from a marketing perspective it would be great to shell out the money to license the Unix trademark. Then FreeBSD could simply be BSD Unix.

This would make it easier to "sell" FreeBSD based projects to the business side. Even if they never heard of BSD, they have heard about Unix - and know that it is something incredibly professional...

recluce said:
Although this will never happen, from a marketing perspective it would be great to shell out the money to license the Unix trademark. Then FreeBSD could simply be BSD Unix.

Any idea how much this would cost? Also, would this have to be renewed every release? All I found is this, but no estimates.

recluce said:
This would make it easier to "sell" FreeBSD based projects to the business side. Even if they never heard of BSD, they have heard about Unix - and know that it is something incredibly professional...

Is this still common for businesses? It seems businesses are using Linux more and more, which isn't UNIX branded. I suppose there's still Solaris and HP-UX...

I don't know why Novell or the OpenGroup don't give FreeBSD a free UNIX certification.
I guess if everything gets a license, it devalues the certification but I don't really think many OSes are bothering with it nowadays anyway and I heard that Mac OS X isn't going to bother with it anymore.

The days where companies value UNIX certification are probably over, so now that it can't be monetized, it should probably be handed back to the rightful owners (The developers of UNIX operating systems) ;)

kpedersen said:
I don't know why Novell or the OpenGroup don't give FreeBSD a free UNIX certification.
I guess if everything gets a license, it devalues the certification but I don't really think many OSes are bothering with it nowadays anyway and I heard that Mac OS X isn't going to bother with it anymore.

The days where companies value UNIX certification are probably over, so now that it can't be monetized, it should probably be handed back to the rightful owners (The developers of UNIX operating systems) ;)

Who knows maybe they'll abandon the trademark once they can't get any more money out of it. It would really be the cherry on the cake if FreeBSD could legally be called BSD UNIX.

It could also start UWII. :p

zspider said:
Who knows maybe they'll abandon the trademark once they can't get any more money out of it. It would really be the cherry on the cake if FreeBSD could legally be called BSD UNIX.

It could also start UWII. :p

Pepsi vs Coke, where Mac OSX is Pepsi and FreeBSD is Coke. Sure, maybe Mac OSX is "officially" UNIX, but there's nothing "UNIX" about it, except the darwin (*cough FreeBSD*) base.

In that light, since Macintosh was named after an Apple, so perhaps Cameo? It's better in nearly every way to the McIntosh. Also, FreeBSD makes a "Cameo" in lots of products (Playstation 3 & 4, Netflix, etc.).

Not saying FreeBSD should change it's name (please don't, it was my first *nix), but if it does, might as well go nuclear.

Savagedlight said:

Thanks for sharing. It was great to see that again.

IIRC, Larry Niven wrote a short story in which a mathematician outwits a demon in a manner very similiar to this. I'm guessing the short story came first, then the twilight zone "public service announcement", but I haven't been able to confirm it.

Back