Does FreeBSD Install on Ryzen

I have a newer Ryzen laptop and I'd like to know if FreeBSD has any issues running on new Ryzen processors. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for actually having a forum.

I'd like to know if FreeBSD has any issues running on new Ryzen processors.
That shouldn't be an issue. You can easily check by simply booting the install media and choose the "Shell" option. Then you can have a look at dmesg(8) for example to see everything that was detected during boot. You can try this without doing the actual install.

Same here. T495 with Ryzen 7. No issues running FreeBSD. Note that wireless is slower on FreeBSD than it is on Linux, but otherwise, everything should work fine. You will want, if using X, to install the drm-kmod package.

If you're not familiar with it, (you may have just typoed), DE refers to a desktop environment, xfce being one of the lighter ones, there are many others like Gnome, KDE, and so on. WM refers to window managers, like dwm and openbox. The difference is that DE's often have their own tools to set up printing, networking, etc, whereas with a WM, you usually have to set up such things yourself. It's a matter of preference, many of us like the added flexibility and lightness of a WM when compared to a DE.

Back