• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Hello,

Teamviewer gets always more and more users, because they have no choice.

What's your experience about it? Thank you

Last edited:
Teamviewer will be dead soon because of their current licensing policy, AnyDesk is a good replacement, also they officially support FreeBSD.

Back to topic: Teamviewer is useful for MS Windows users since they don't have many options for remote access through firewalls etc.
Technically it's just an SSH tunnel via Teamviewer servers, you can make your own if you like.

this is free for personal use
It used to be: just a couple of days ago it told me that my free license expired. Period.
The older versions work, so, if you don't upgrade to new version, you can still use them, but then it will refuse to connect to hosts running newer versions.

As soon as you need registration, cannot hold the service your own, this is not recommended. Opensource is always better - you can have free usage.

I think it is a good tool for certain use-cases. I use it to update/fix my old parents computer who live in a different country. Worked well for us for the past 9 years. Personally,I won't use it for any other thing apart from that.

Guess why? If it's a laptop in a different country.
There many reasons, of course. They use Skype, for example.
Also, are you ready to fly over to help if it's not fixable remotely? ;-)

Well, I once had this issue: skype and whatever, they need to do something.
This is not easy. Telling click there, click there via phone.

Guess why? If it's a laptop in a different country.
There many reasons, of course. They use Skype, for example.
Also, are you ready to fly over to help if it's not fixable remotely? ;-)

Very true. I’m planning to install Linux for them when I visit them this year. Linux a great replacement for Windows. BSDs are for totally different audience.

However the heck if that if the router changes suddenly ;) Then no port forward, no enter, then, again asking by phone to set up the router, where to click,...
There is a good tool to maintain persistent tunnels: security/autossh, just run it as a cron task @reboot:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/autossh -M 0 -q -f -N -o "ServerAliveInterval 60" -o "ServerAliveCountMax 3" -R 8022:localhost:22 user@remotehost

I use FreeBSD exclusively for my desktop and servers. FreeBSD is not an option for my folks. They literary use only Skype on it and quite often I can to long on team viewer to help them. For them security is not important

A small raspberry with good ssh config with FreeBSD (no pkg installed) is fairly sufficient, isn't it? what do you think?
Frankly, I didn't understand the purpose of such box in this context.
To set up an SSH tunnel you need an external server with public IP address, thus both parties (behind firewalls) can be connected through it. Since ISPs charge a lot for static IP addresses it makes more sense to setup a VPS in a cloud for $5/month (e.g. with Linode, Digital Ocean etc.). Many of them have ready-to-use FreeBSD images.

slow in my opinion,good for "simple day users" dont for developers or system admins
before the teamviewer was cool I installed Radmin server in the client machine and I connect from outside
with a simple route rule in the adsl modem of the user and using the radmin client from mi side
fast as hell.
forget it..teamviewer can be a breach of security in a controled or bussines network,because any user
cant leave their machine on and leave teamv running and connect from outside
for that I cut their wings in DNS rules,allow only selected users to user teamviewer

Frankly, I didn't understand the purpose of such box in this context.
To set up an SSH tunnel you need an external server with public IP address, thus both parties (behind firewalls) can be connected through it. Since ISPs charge a lot for static IP addresses it makes more sense to setup a VPS in a cloud for $5/month (e.g. with Linode, Digital Ocean etc.). Many of them have ready-to-use FreeBSD images.

this box would allow to access distant. You just need to set up the port forward, on the relative's router.

slow in my opinion,good for "simple day users" dont for developers or system admins
before the teamviewer was cool I installed Radmin server in the client machine and I connect from outside
with a simple route rule in the adsl modem of the user and using the radmin client from mi side
fast as hell.
forget it..teamviewer can be a breach of security in a controled or bussines network,because any user
cant leave their machine on and leave teamv running and connect from outside
for that I cut their wings in DNS rules,allow only selected users to user teamviewer
Good point ;)

This is a good reason to use uniquely *BSD ;)

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

As today, this seems to be still free for personal use.

But they may have recently split version, and you should pehraps reinstall the very last and dedicated Free version

Maybe updated free binaries are only available for Windows, for the Linux binary (if you use the Linux version) I don't know
Other possible interpretation : for any good or bad reasons, they consider that you are infringing the Free license policy. Possibly, they do statistics, and if they detect number of connection for a given client they consider that this client does business.

Teamviewer, because it is free?
It is not really free, because there is no freedom.

Maybe updated free binaries are only available for Windows, for the Linux binary (if you use the Linux version) I don't know
Actually, there is no Linux binary: whatever they call so is a Wine wrapper. In FreeBSD I use Window binary with Wine. The one which refused continuing for free was a real Windows installation (in bhyve).

Back