jails Do you know of any linux on freebsd tutorials that cover getting X apps working in linux on freebsd?

Specifically, I'd like to see how to get x11 applications running from linux installed on freebsd using debootstrap. I found dozens of tutorials that get you to where linux runs in a jail/chroot, but nothing about running X apps.

All that's talking about is what to mount. Once those are mounted, x11 apps don't just magically start working.
It tells you to install debootstrap and how to set up linuxemulation (in this case ubuntu). With that X11 just works. There might be other problems as described on the page as described in "

12.4.1. Installing Additional Libraries Manually​

It tells you to install debootstrap and how to set up linuxemulation (in this case ubuntu). With that X11 just works. There might be other problems as described on the page as described in "

12.4.1. Installing Additional Libraries Manually​

What you're saying makes sense and isn't wholly inaccurate, but the bit about X11 just working after following the directions outlined in that section of the handbook... hmm... not that I can tell. I have a pristine freebsd environment and I've followed the directions exactly, I know how to figure things out. The handbook leaves you with a chrooted environment... as root, how the heck can you run an X program in your desktop that way? So far as I can tell, you can't. So what's missing from the handbook?

What I'm looking to do is quite simple and straightforward:

1. Install linux compatibility - done, I'm able to run Sublime just fine and yes, it's an X11 app.
2. Install debian on freebsd using debootstrap - done - but it's weird and doesn't run X11 apps.
3. Run XnViewMP in the debian instance on freebsd - I can run it via the compatibility layer (just like sublime), but not in the debian instance.

Maybe it's in how I am doing things - some broken assumption I don't know about. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Running everything inside of XFCE via the terminal.
2. Expecting to be able to run whatever I install inside of XFCE - don't care particularly if it needs to run from terminal or not.
3. Stuff I expect to work from within the debian instance - xeyes, xterm, XnViewMP, etc.
4. Where I expect to see the results - in XFCE running on FreeBSD.

Where'd I go wrong?

What you're saying makes sense and isn't wholly inaccurate, but the bit about X11 just working after following the directions outlined in that section of the handbook... hmm... not that I can tell. I have a pristine freebsd environment and I've followed the directions exactly, I know how to figure things out. The handbook leaves you with a chrooted environment... as root, how the heck can you run an X program in your desktop that way? So far as I can tell, you can't. So what's missing from the handbook?

Again, you shouldn't have a chroot or jail. It makes X11 more difficult since you need to share the X11 Unix socket in /tmp

That way you don't need root either.

The rest of your post is missing error messages.

Again, you shouldn't have a chroot or jail. It makes X11 more difficult since you need to share the X11 Unix socket in /tmp

That way you don't need root either.

The rest of your post is missing error messages.
I hear you, dunno what to do about it... This is from the handbook:

2024-01-29_10-15.png

Of course, it works. The kernel is much newer, but the directions are accurate and you are left, in chroot, as root, unable to run x apps :).

I think you misunderstand. You can enter a regular Linux emulation install via chroot. That does not mean that you have to run applications in chroot.

To run X11 apps you invoke them with /compat/linux/usr/bin/cat or the like, without using chroot.

I think you misunderstand. You can enter a regular Linux emulation install via chroot. That does not mean that you have to run applications in chroot.

To run X11 apps you invoke them with /compat/linux/usr/bin/cat or the like, without using chroot.
Ah, ok. Now I get it.

Back