Do you ever get angry at your computer?

Broken two Microsoft wireless keyboards out of frustration. Constant key repeat/stickiness even while the key is depressed, or missed key sending. Their tech support solution: take out batteries and smash all keys for a few minutes to drain the capacitors.

I smashed them alright... :)

Seems like my biggest frustration is not being able to correctly type the right little finger characters: [ ] | \ { }
That's even worse on those keyboards where the pipe key has been moved or is smaller.

I occasionally yell at computers x( when I'm frustrated but I don't remember having ever been physically abusive (at least not to the computer).

A misbehaving HP server failed one too many times so I removed the disks, poured some petrol for models onto it, turned it on and then took a welding torch to it..... It just led to chaos after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJiGS4cJk_A

Ignore the title, it was not an attempt to over clock ;)

I've also smashed the odd few keyboards ;)

I have a bad habit of yelling to computer when something does not go well. I praise his deafness artificial, my envy. I'm still educating my bad habit :e

I tend to smash up quite a few residential internet routers. I swear that the companies (BT, Virgin) make these things lock up on purpose to reduce bandwidth usage.

I am looking at *YOU* BT-HomeHub!

Yop .. and as the saying goes "Cherchez la femme".

I hit, kicked, punched the computer senseless, yanked out DVDrom out of the running computer and pretty much damaged the whole case.

Sh!t happens and I did need to ventilate my anger .. gym wasn't just close enough.

Contrary to popular belief, taking out anger, even at an inanimate object, is a sign of anger issues. This is not to be confused with "boxing it up", which is the opposite issue.

If you have smashed a keyboard or monitor out of legitimate anger (not just for the amusement of it), then you have a problem.

Pushrod said:
Contrary to popular belief, taking out anger, even at an inanimate object, is a sign of anger issues. This is not to be confused with "boxing it up", which is the opposite issue.

If you have smashed a keyboard or monitor out of legitimate anger (not just for the amusement of it), then you have a problem.

True.

Yes.

I deal with Microsoft brain damage as part of my day job.

I don't get violent, but there is certainly a lot of colourful language involved.

Generally caused by either undocumented, undesirable behaviour, standards non-compliance or discovering that amongst the 99 features no one cares about, they implemented only 4/5ths of those we do care about.

When I was programming in C studying for university.Smashed my keyboard many times, Fortunately was an IBM keyboard with steel base, Now the keyboard remains intact.

Pushrod said:

There is only so much productivity that can be lost due to a work-when-it-wants-to keyboard, that at some point, you just have to yank it and break it in half. Only way to force you to buy a new one. I been calm for over 2 years now. ;)

redw0lfx said:
There is only so much productivity that can be lost due to a work-when-it-wants-to keyboard, that at some point, you just have to yank it and break it in half. Only way to force you to buy a new one. I been calm for over 2 years now. ;)

One could argue about the sanitary issues about that. I mean, if you never get angry and smash your keyboard in pieces, "forcing" you to buy a new one, your keyboards becomes a breeding ground for bird-flue and whatnot... Therefore, regularly smashing up your keyboard and mouse must be a good thing, right?:)

/Sebulon

Pleased to report that ever since I defenestrated years ago, no computer hardware has been harmed ever since. However I am not opposed to the concept of using a flamethrower on slacker coders every now and then to get their attention. :)

Sebulon said:
One could argue about the sanitary issues about that. I mean, if you never get angry and smash your keyboard in pieces, "forcing" you to buy a new one, your keyboards becomes a breeding ground for bird-flue and whatnot... Therefore, regularly smashing up your keyboard and mouse must be a good thing, right?:)

/Sebulon

From now on, this is what I'm telling accounting when we retire equipment: "Destroyed to prevent spread of disease and contagion" :)

Not angry, but recently kicked old computer hard, it was some 2000's vintage wreck used in little project where we assessed if tohse old machines were in any way usable today. Some idiot somewhere had heard that "linux is lightweight os" and managed to install Ubuntu 12.04 to that wreck. Yeah right. 90% of memory in use when you get that back-up 2d desktop loaded, 50% processor load. And machine's cooling fan made some noise reminding me of concrete mill, or table saw. Hard kick to side of machine and suddenly fan got quiet, fan kept working still after that. :)

kpedersen said:
I tend to smash up quite a few residential internet routers. I swear that the companies (BT, Virgin) make these things lock up on purpose to reduce bandwidth usage.

I am looking at *YOU* BT-HomeHub!

Lol I do this trying to rebuild a FreeBSD kernel over ssh and my net always has to cut out when I am running buildkernel and it is nearly done I am sure BT do this on purpose.

Back