Solved do I need to do bectl create updates prior to freebsd-update fetch install

I'm cleaning up my notes now that I'm committed to running FreeBSD on my desktop full-time. I noticed that when I run freebsd-update it creates a snapshot of the environment? So, in theory, I shouldn't need to create one prior to running the command. Is what freebsd-update doing sufficient if something were to go wrong, or do I need to take my own snapshot?

IIRC since 13.0-RELEASE freebsd-update(8) automatically creates BEs, but you can disable this behaviour in /etc/freebsd-update.conf, e.g. to keep your BEs clean and meaningfully named - freebsd-update only adds a timestamp, so it gets quite messy relatively fast.

Especially for minor/major release upgrades I create BEs that are named after the new version, boot into that BE and perform the whole freebsd-update upgrade in that new BE. This way one can easily distinguish BEs and what OS version they are referring to - timestamps are completely opaque in that manner, and every BE has a creation date anyways, so the information is redundant.

To be clear: it is nice to have that mechanism in freebsd-update, as it provides a safety net for every OS upgrade without having to remember to create a BE beforehand, but if you like to keep the list of BEs (and disk space used by them) somewhat manageable, I still prefer the manual way, especially because the naming convention of freebsd-update, lets say, "leaves room for improvement".

I'd look at bectl list before running freebsd-update(8). Clean up any old BE you may have lingering. If you're not that familiar with BEs that's fine, keep everything on the default BE. It should be marked with NR:
Code:
dice@maelcum:~ % bectl list
BE                                Active Mountpoint Space Created
14.0-RELEASE-p2_2023-12-20_112649 -      -          1.12G 2023-12-20 11:26
default                           NR     /          4.09G 2023-06-03 08:31

Then go through the freebsd-update(8) process. Some time after the update, and you are sure everything is working correctly, remove the old BEs that were created during the update. Again, keep everything just set to default.

IIRC since 13.0-RELEASE freebsd-update(8) automatically creates BEs, …

Relevant improvements to bectl(8) were merged to earlier branches:

For the enhancement to freebsd-update(8):

– I can not find a merge to any releng branch for 12.⋯, however from what ogogon wrote in the topic below, it seems possible/likely that the enhancement was present in 12.3-RELEASE.

Back