Distfile with Spaces in it

I am trying to make a port of ASSP version 2 as I am the maintainer of ASSP V1. However, the V2 is proving difficult for me since the distfile looks like:

ASSP 2.0.1 2.0.12 install.ZIP

I am open to suggestions about how to setup the Makefile to account for that. I've tried this but this doesn't work:

Code:
PORTNAME=       assp2
PORTVERSION=    2.0.1
PORTSUBVERSION= 2.0.12
CATEGORIES=     mail
MASTER_SITES=   SF
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=assp/ASSP%20V2%20multithreading/${PORTVERSION}%20${PORTSUBVERSION}/ASSP%20${PORTVERSION}%20${PORTSUBVERSION}%20Install.ZIP/
DISTNAME=       ${PORTNAME:U}" "${PORTVERSION}" "${PORTSUBVERSION}-Install

So, how does one do spaces in a file name when building a port?

Thanks!
Rusty Nejdl

Thanks! I tried both single and double quotes and it really didn't like it:

Code:
DISTNAME=       "${PORTNAME:U} ${PORTVERSION} ${PORTSUBVERSION}-Install"
Gives:

Code:
> sudo make
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk", line 1462: Malformed conditional (${_site_url_} == 2.0.12-Install"  CSME && !defined(MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk", line 1462: Malformed conditional (${_site_url_} == 2.0.12-Install"  GNOME && !defined(MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6446: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6449: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

And :
Code:
DISTNAME=       '${PORTNAME:U} ${PORTVERSION} ${PORTSUBVERSION}-Install'

Gives the same thing:

Code:
> sudo make
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk", line 1462: Malformed conditional (${_site_url_} == 2.0.12-Install'  CSME && !defined(MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk", line 1462: Malformed conditional (${_site_url_} == 2.0.12-Install'  GNOME && !defined(MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6446: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6449: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
As you can see, I am also trying PORTSUBVERSION in my Makefile as well.

Rusty Nejdl

Host the file on your own server, renamed using _ instead of spaces, and point the Makefile at that.

Or, ask that the ports committer add the renamed file to the FreeBSD ports mirror servers.

Or, contact the upstream devs, and ask them to provide a file without spaces.

Really, there shouldn't be spaces in filenames on the Internet. It just causes too many little weird things to happen, even if it is technically allowed.

That's about what I was thinking myself and just send an email to the dev list requesting just that. This is just going to break way too much with spaces in it.

Rusty Nejdl

Spaces with filenames suck. That said, it can be done. This particular one is also complicated by sourceforge's mirror redirect and double HTML escapes like %2520.
Code:
PORTNAME=       assp2
PORTVERSION=    2.0.1
PORTSUBVERSION= 2.0.12
CATEGORIES=     mail
MASTER_SITES=   SF
MASTER_SITES=   SF/assp/ASSP%20V2%20multithreading/${PORTVERSION}%20${PORTSUBVERSION}
DISTNAME=       ASSP%20${PORTVERSION}%20${PORTSUBVERSION}%20install
EXTRACT_SUFX=   .ZIP

Tested, and now I feel dirty.

Back