Solved Disruptive messages from syslogd(8) and ntpd(8) in conlose

Hi everyone.

I get warnings from syslogd(8) and ntpd(8) all the time, when I'm in virtual terminal and it's very disruptive.
How can I suppress all messages from all daemons from being displayed?

Thanks.

What messages are you seeing? It's probably better to try and solve those messages instead of just sweeping them under the carpet.

That's console output, used by the kernel, but also by syslog in the default configuration by writing to /dev/console.

Yes, you might not want to just ignore errors/warnings, but console output has to go somewhere (by default ttyv0, the first virtual terminal) and will always interfere with interactive usage of the same vt.

You have a few options dealing with this:
  • Use conscontrol(8) to mute the console. Not recommended.
  • Use conscontrol(8) to direct console output somewhere else.
  • Just avoid ttyv0 for interactive work (simple and easy).

Alternatively, you could just switch to the second, third, etc. virtual console. Those console messages only appear on the first. But I really would like to see an example of such a message.

SirDice, you will also have kernel output on the console, so it's enough to e.g. plug in some USB drive to mess up whatever you have on the same vt ;) – but I agree warnings from ntpd should probably be analyzed and fixed!

And btw, my last bullet point suggested exactly that: just use a different vt ;)

I get a lot of error: kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
on my physical monitor (running FreeBSD 13.1) but I never see them on a remote terminals. I figured they are random scans because I'm forwarding port 22 on my router.

I get a lot of error: kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
on my physical monitor (running FreeBSD 13.1) but I never see them on a remote terminals. I figured they are random scans because I'm forwarding port 22 on my router.
The console is always local and by default outputs to the first virtual terminal (ttyv0). But these same messages are also logged.

Back