Disappearance of Desktop Applications (firefox/thunderbird ...) from Repositories

1723990796249.png

More precisely, it was ready for import at 18:50:24 GMT on 17th August.

I'm reminded that FreshPorts looks at package repos, not build servers.

Not sure its wise to keep all my eggs in one basket
One solution if you do prefer to homogenise your eggs is create offline snapshots of the FreeBSD packages repo (even just a simple pkg_fetch -a). That way if the live repos ever do become faulty, you have a known good version to quickly roll back to.

I tend to have 2 snapshots of latest on the go. Doesn't take much time and hard disk space is cheap, I am always told.

upgrade 3 machines with no issue

macbook air 2011 - 11 inch
macbook pro retina 2015 - 13 inch
dell xps 2019 - 15 inch

built linux-widevine-cdm
and libc6-shim from HEAD with poudriere

chromium and widevine = working
obs studio and nvenc = working

Hello everyone,

Following this discussion, I have implemented a binary archiving solution with automatic installation scripts for all packages from the FreeBSD:14:amd64/quarterly and FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest repositories.
http://pkgrescue.ddns.net

(For now, it's just a simple DNS redirection. I will consider adding a domain and switching to HTTPS soon if I see enough interest in the project).
This offers an alternative to ports and is much faster in case packages disappear from the repositories.

For each retrieved package, the following are made available:
- The binary package as retrieved with the command "pkg fetch PACKAGE-1.2.3,4".
- A hash (sha256). You can verify if there is an error (at least compared to the current repository packages), but logically there shouldn't be any.
- An autoinstall script, to install each package in the version of your choice, with the corresponding dependencies versions for the chosen package version.

The packages are not visible on the URL; you need the exact name and version of the package (as specified above).
I have scripted a simple function to add to /etc/profile or ~/.profile (on FreeBSD) allowing the use of a "pkgrescue" command to directly consult and manipulate the binaries from the site, install them, download them, see their dependencies, verify the hash, list the entire catalog...
Code:
pkgrescue {search|install|fetch|dependencies|check} {quarterly|latest} {PACKAGE|PACKAGE-1.2.3,4.pkg}
It's explained on the index page of the URL.

To access the catalog of each repository directly from your browser:

Ultimately, there will be multiple versions of each binary.
The autoinstall scripts allow the reinstallation of any version of any package with the corresponding dependencies for the chosen version.
This is already the case for some packages from the quarterly, which was the first to be mirrored.

A small maintenance of a few minutes will take place every day at 8 am (UTC) to allow the server to fetch any new packages and generate the corresponding autoinstall scripts.
During this time, the site is offline but comes back online once the operation is complete.
The entire process is automated, and the files are set to read-only before being placed in the document root.

Any feedback, spotting of errors, or suggestions for improvement are welcome (as long as it doesn't require 50 hours of work per week). To develop or let go... depending on the interest.
If the project is of interest, I might add other versions (13 and/or 15).

As a test, I reinstalled an entire desktop environment the night before last (xfce + all basic plugins and apps) solely based on this repository.
It is therefore already functional for many packages (I haven't encountered any errors yet, but there might be some due to the initial loading delay of the repositories that forced me to stop/restart at certain times, also for testing autoinstall scripts generation).

I specify that I started less than a week ago; there will certainly be scenarios to anticipate/correct/improve.
For now, I am testing and writing alone.

tinderbox (for src, not ports) was "… a shell script that ran on bento.freebsd.org once a day, … was replaced with the … Perl implementation in early 2003. …"
misc/tinderbox? That was to build packages. Interesting trivia; poudriere is the French translation of tinderbox ;)

Back